1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

S O S Same ol' Sound

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dflahe, Mar 29, 2007.

1. dflahe

dflahe New Member

Anyone know of any progress on the clunking sound, front end, 03, 2wd Silverado?? The deeler fix of squirting gease into the connector seems 'Problematic at Best'....dana flaherty
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome dflahe, I found a technical bulletin.
    Make: CHEVROLET
    Model: CHEVROLET TRUCK
    Year: 2003

Service Bulletin Number: 031803
    NHTSA Item Number: 10001891
    Summary Description:
    A CLUNK NOISE COMING FROM UNDER THE HOOD THAT ALSO CAN BE FELT IN THE STEERING WHEEL. *TT *JB
    Service Bulletin Num : 031803 Date of Bulletin: MAR 18, 2003
    NHTSA Item Number: 10001891
    I hope this helps you. BTW It says something about replacing imtermediate steering shaft, check with dealer.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  3. dflahe

dflahe New Member

clunkers

Thanx....I'll check it out next week....
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Would have thought the dealer would have been able to find that TSB.
  5. Mcontrols

Mcontrols New Member

Feel a clunky thump in the steering in my 06 Tahoe. Could this bulletin apply to me as well?

MC
  6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Quite possibly, check with your local dealer(maybe your next oil change). I thought I seen a few years envolved.
  7. ChevyTech

ChevyTech Rockstar

The TSB was revised last year. What they do now is remove the intermediate shaft and use a grease pack in it. It works for a few hundred miles if you are lucky. I would ask them if they do the grease kit again what they will do if it doesn't work. When I worked for GM my dealer would do the grease kit twice then replace the shaft if it failed a third time. My 04 and 06 Silverado had the same noise and I ended up replacing the shafts. Hope this helps.