S10 rear axel gears

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by Quad racer#212, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Quad racer#212

Quad racer#212 Rockstar

I have a 99 reg cab its 2.2l truck. This truck has the auto Trans still in it. I don’t have the first idea what gear is in the rear end. I know my 5 speed truck has 4.10s in it. Does any one know how to tell the rear gear size for my truck or where I can find out?? Any info welcome thanks.

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you know it still has the original factory gear ratio, then look in your RPO code list in the glove box, then look up those codes in one of the many RPO code lists available online (there's one in this forum somewhere, even). If memory serves, the gear ratio codes often start with a "G".

If someone has changed the gear ratio after the fact, you'll have to count rotations or teeth on the gear.

3. Quad racer#212

Quad racer#212 Rockstar

I changed the interior carpet dash and seats from tan to gray. I used the dash out of my x cab race truck that has a 4.10 gear stock. No help there thanks any ideas

4. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 Rockstar 100 Posts

do the rotation method, it'll get u in the ballpark area. jack up the rear end, support on jackstands, have somebody watch the passenger side wheel and count how many rotations the drive shaft makes for one full revolution of the wheel. ex: drive shaft turns 3 and 3/4 turns for one wheel revolution, basically a 3.73:1.

5. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

X2...alot of the 80's 4 cyl came w/ 3:08 but this method will get you in the ballpark. My '88 w/ the 2.8 & 5 speed came w/ 3:42...

6. Quad racer#212

Quad racer#212 Rockstar

I puled the diff cover. To get the numbers off the ring gear. They say its a 4.11