S10 Years Good VS Bad

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by mrcaddy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. mrcaddy

mrcaddy Rockstar

Thinking about getting an S-10. I want a 4 cyl, 5 spd. Is there a good year or bad year for these? Thanks,Scott

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Id shoot for a 1998 up due to the options that you can get used. Plus they have the most updated style that goes all the way to model year 2004...

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Late 90's on up, the early 4cyl's were extremely underpowered dogs, not that late 90's and up are powerhouses but they do have a little more omph.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I forgot to add that there is more of an aftermarket for these trucks if you do want more power.

5. swedp

swedp Rockstar

i had a ´96 ext cab 2.2 man,it was nice truck cheap on gas but not a rearwheelburner.jag´s that run and other´s could supply differnt diameter for serpentinebelt drive´s but i feel the improvement wasn´t worth it. ´98-up looks better but are general the same. i have a ´00 2.2 engine with 37000km on it ,would be fun putting a turbo on it in a small boat or whatever....

6. S10Surfer

S10Surfer New Member

My brother had 2003 Same model and was great. Never had any problems.

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Like others said, later is better.
    On another note since you must be looking at mpg you might consider the 2002 and later 4 cyl 5 speed Ranger(it has a japanese mazda motor I think).Not normally a Ford fan (GMs full sized 1/2 tons etc are generally better (mpg, performance, reliable, inexpensive parts, readily available, better aftermarket) than Fords in most respects(latest Fords 1/2 tons/ pickups,SUVs are pretty decent now-but GM still is better overall).

The Ranger with the 4 cyl and 5 speed MT is about 2-4 mpg "better" than the same S-10. If your primary concern is mpg it is worth a look. Fords-and GMs-quality control has been steadily improving(on a level with best Japanese now)-so later is better. Of course-earlier/older is always cheaper-and cheap is good (explains why I bought a 195,500 98 Suburban-$2950)
    Luck
    Charlie
    You should be able to find 1998 S-10s in the sub $2000 range- 2002's in the sub $3000 range-same story on Ranger. Nicely cared for costs more of course(frequently worth it to buy the best you can find-and good looks/body can equate with well maintained)