1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

S15 Jimmy/Typhoon tailgate lock question...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KidHauler, Mar 19, 2012.

1. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Hey, gang.

The tailgate lock / handle in my uncle's '92 Typhoon exploded while somebody else was using it.

I have it re-coded and assembled with new parts, but there seems to be a lot of travel on the 'Gate' side. Thing is, I don't remember what it was like before. Without the key inserted, the glass is locked and the handle won't turn that way. If I turn towards the 'Gate', it will go all the way to unlock the tailgate. The glass is still locked to the tailgate, but I figure this will cause problems.

So, can any of you S-Jimmy guys tell me if this is right, or normal? I would think the internal stop would be closer on the gate side, or I'm missing a sleeve, or something. Can I make an adjustment to the latch assembly to widen the gap?

Thanks for any help you provide,
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Well, I haven't found an answer locally, either, so I reinstalled the lock and cleaned the truck. All is good in the Typhoon world:)