SAE J2807 towing standards

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by tbplus10, Jun 19, 2014.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Does anyone have a good site for the new SAE J2807 towing standards?
    Again its not a specific law but like the new lift/handling standards it appears to be an attempt by automotive interest groups to police themselves before the govt. steps in and institutes highly restrictive and non negotiable standards.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I may renew my SAE membership this week. If I do I can get you the SAE document.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Thanks Pikey.
    I understand the standards are only for light duty trucks, a majority of the trucks on here, and at this point its only somewhat like a recomendation and not a real regulation, but much like FMVSS 126 manufacturers are lining up to regulate their products to the standards.
    Which tells me if their spending the time, money, and energy, this item has the legs to go further and end up as a requirement.
    I dont really believe standardizing tow weights and equipment on light trucks is a bad idea, especially with the tow weight capability wars going on between truck mfgrs.
    For that matter FMVSS 126 isnt a bad idea if it helps control the backyard lift mfgrs that are putting out suspect equipment that either causes handling issues or has inferrior parts.