Safe RPMs in 5.3 '03 Yukon XL

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by KMan420, Jul 3, 2012.

1. KMan420

KMan420 New Member

Upgraded TT to JayFeather series ~ 5.5K lbs fully loaded. Towed from Memphis to Orlando/Disney area and back. Terrain varied but mostly had to run at 3K+ to hold 65mph on even or slight upgrades and 70 was only possible going down hill. While I don't like running the engine that high I wonder if that is within normal tolerances and especially for a 15-hour session. For a long trip, what is the upper level of RPMs for the sake of the engine and/or the transmission?

2. steved

steved Former Member

I had about 6500#s behind my 2012 2500HD...it wanted to hold 5500RPM on the bigger hills to maintain 50mph, regardless of what I did. Coming from a low revving Cummins, this was a little unnerving to say the least. I was told for short durations, the higher RPMs are not detrimental. As long as your not at red line, it should be "within tolerance".

I would make sure your oil is fresh and coolant are topped off, if its going to be spinning that fast and towing hard; being up on the maintenance is mandatory.

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Did you see what your tranny temp was running? I think that is where I would be more worried. I think the only issue of running a higher RPM like that is the reduction in MPG's. X2 on what [MENTION=54243]steved[/MENTION] said about fluid maint. if you work it harder than "normal usage" you should adjust your maint schedule

4. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

The key to towing with your rig is watching your gauges granted they are all accurate. If you are going to spend any significant time towing, i would swap in a deep tranny oil pan and an after market tranny oil cooler. I would not be worried so much about your engine as much. I don't think you should be at 3k+ your entire trip though either. When in 4th and your tc locked, you should be able to cruise 65 without your engine wound out.