Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

sas help

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by jmosch2, Jan 21, 2014.

1. jmosch2

jmosch2 New Member

Hey im new to this forum. Names jeremy, hi everyone. Im trying to gather all the info i can on sas's before i screw up my truck. I have an 05 sierra shortbed 4x4 and will be using leafs for a73-78 chevy. My question is what is the inside deminsion of the shackles and hangers for those springs as i want to build them to save money and time

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hey Jeremy: if you want to save time, money, drama, blood, sweat, tears and frustration Id recommend purchasing a pre made SAS kit and finding springs and shackles to fit instead of choosing springs and shackles and building around them.
    Completed over 30 SAS jobs and I've learned alot the hard way, buying a kit and sourcing parts recomended takes alot of guessing and engineering out of the equation.

3. jmosch2

jmosch2 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I kinda worded my question wrong but anyways, i was looking at the sky manufacturing kit for my 05. Any other kits out there to fit my truck? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first sas. Only lifted a few 80s models in the past

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Theres more than 20 kits available to o a SAS, Sky Mfgr is one of the more popular kits now days.
    Ive used their kits, good kits and much more complete than others Ive used.
    If your doing this swap at home I recomend planning for at least 30 days down time.
    The Sky kit (as do all others) requires welding, make sure you have good skills for this part, this is where Ive seen most of the failures happen.
    Just like in wood working measure twice cut once, and before you make any cut measure again just to be sure.

5. jmosch2

jmosch2 New Member

This is my daily driver, my wife is going to use her paid time off to help with the down time haha. Also the welding isnt a problem. My brother is a plumber as well as me at my work and he has navy certified welds and an expert machinest. He will be aiding me in the work. I will be gathering all the parts i know ill need such as front axle, possible rebuild and re gear, steering ect. I want to eliminate down time as much as i can. Its been a blistering winter here in southern indiana so ill buy what i need now and come spring well start piecing it together. Ill post pics as we go. My plan is to clear 40s but prolly only run 35s on the street as i have a 20 min commute each way to work. Thinkin on 410s if i have to regear. Also ive only seen sky having a kit to work for my truck. Im not trying to go cheap as i feel this is a "get what you pay for" kinda thing but do you know any names of other companys that offer kits for my truck? If not its cool youve been a big help so far anyways man! Thanks again