Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Satellite radio antenna question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by McClintoc, Nov 2, 2012.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I recently installed an aftermarket stereo head unit that is satellite radio capable. While I currently do not have a subscription, I am thinking of getting one. My question is, will I need a new antenna or will my OE antenna be able to receive the sat signal?

2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

You will need a different antenna. Likely, you'll also need a separate module. Typically, 'capable' or 'ready' advertised head units have the ability to switch to an XM/Sirius source, but require an external module to enable that source. Check the manual for your new stereo.

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Which radio did you get? I ask because I just purchased a new head unit and was told by the installer that I didn't need a new module as [MENTION=40835]dobey[/MENTION] stated. I was told I may need an adapter to be able to hook it up. I believe that [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] also used an adapter for his HU. Not all HU may be this easy though.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

5. awtposts

awtposts Member

Yes. New Antenna. Not sure about difficulty on self install. I would check with Manufacturer of your unit for a recommended Antenna and go from there. At least it will get you pointed in the right direction.

6. McClintoc

7. awtposts

awtposts Member

In keeping things simple for here - The only diff between conventional radio and Satellite is the location of the transmitter. There's a lot more to it of course but that's it in a nutshell.

A Satellite antenna is designed to receive signals much less amplified than a conventional radio wave antenna and decrypt the encrypted Sirrius/XM signals. Your adapter will provide this function.

Looks like a nice unit too. I like the NOAA setup it has.

8. McClintoc

The weather band was probably the biggest reason I bought the unit. I didn't need anything super fancy, just something that was a little better than stock and had an audio-in jack. I work in emergency management so it's nice to know what the weather is up to.

9. awtposts

awtposts Member

First unit I've seen with weather / emergency capability. My cousin is a retired Fire Chief so I'll tell him about this as he would like this living in florida.

10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

When I bought my new head unit the harness I bought to keep all the chimes and on star,factory blue tooth ... It also will keep the factory XM working. The downside to doing it that way is the display for channel and song is displayed on the DIC not the radio. The fix for that is to get a new XM receiver and an antenna adapter. I googled this topic last night and found a few items that would help. There was a youtube video that showed how it was done. I was also able to find an adapter to hook the factory antenna up to the after market XM receiver. I just need to verify the connection types before I post that it will work. But like I said there are youtube video's out there that show how to make it work.