GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Satellite Radio on 2008 Silverado question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Dubsport, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Sorry Newb here... did search, after page 6 I gave up hope! Please forgive me if this is somewhere in the 90 pages it lists. I just purchased a 2008 Silverado LT and from what I have read it should come with satellite standard from 2008 on. When I hit the band button I get am/fm only and if I hit the "cat" button it says "xm function only". I did not get a owners manual for this vehicle :no:. If there is a way to turn this function on please let me know... or did someone order it XM delete because as stated above I believe that all 2008 up had it no matter what. Sorry for the long explanation.
    Thanks in advance
    Richard
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

Chevy Offer's......XM Satellite as a Trial Offer on their New Vehicle's.....after the trail period is up....it is Up to the Owner on weather they want to keep and Buy a XM Satellite package.......Also the Stereo must be XM Satellite Capable and that is with a....8 Digit Code in the Stereo....and then Contact XM Satellite,

To activate your XM Satellite, you will need the following:
    .....Turn your XM radio on and tune it to channel 1
    ....The 8-digit Radio ID from your XM Radio that is displayed on channel 0.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  3. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.... I am begining to think that although all 2008 are supposed to be satellite equipped mine is not, because it is not even firing up the xm screen!
    :(
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member

Check for the XM antenna on the roof.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Did you get a Window sticker with the truck? Do you know the past owner? Find the build sheet?
  6. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Got nothing... I bought the truck at a dealer in less than 1 hr in and out the door. Stupid me didn't check for the owner manual (very happy with the truck)... was hoping it had satellite tho as stated I believed all 2008 had it factory. The reason for the quick sale was that I rolled my 2006 Dodge Ram 6 times, and decided although it did save my life, I wanted the creature comforts of the GM!
  7. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member

You don;t have satellite radio. Even without an active subscription you will still be able to get the radio id channel (0) and the xm emergencry broadcast channel. (the stock headunit will go from am/fm/xm by hitting the band key) Sattilite radio comes with onstar, so no onstar no xm. Also check your roof for the dolphin shaped antenna if you don't have that then no satellite radio.
  8. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Funny thing is that I have onstar... Will contact the dealer I bought it from! Thanks for all the help guys!
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

OnStar and Xm Satellite are 2 Different Services-es.....You can have OnStar Without having XM Satellite....and/or You can have XM Satellite Without OnStar.
  10. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member

Mine is an 08 and after my one year of free XM I did not renew as it is not my daily driver. A couple weeks ago for the hell of it I tuned it to one of the XM channels and I still have XM. Not sure if I have all of the channels or not, but I have a lot of them!
  11. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Just a side note.. If your XM or Sirius is turned off. And you want it back on fight with them a bit about price.. I have been paying $20.00 every 5 months for the past 2 years.. Thats all it's worth....
  12. troutbug

troutbug New Member

You still have it after a couple of weeks? I know sometimes they run little promotions where it's free for a week or so, but they don't give you all the channels.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

That's all it may be worth to you. If you are tired of hearing top ten pop and country & the same songs every hour, you may think it's worth a little more. I've discovered a lot of bands I've never heard of because of satellite radio. $4 a month is a good deal though, maybe I should haggle with them a little...
  13. randomsandwhich

XM was running a promotion a couple weeks back to get more peope to subscribe. They unlocked all xm radios for about two weeks.
  14. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

I am actually on hold to cancel my XM right now....the service is great but the billing and customer service could be better ran by a 4 yr old.

I have issues every billing cycle - over charges etc.... oh ya they offered me 5 months for $20 then charged me for my normal quarterly charges after that - so they got my 20 for 5 months then wanted an additional $52 for "my service"......

The foreign customer service couldnt seem to grasp the concept that once you charge me 20 bucks for 5 months you cant charge me another 50 bucks a month later for service.

"Outsourced" is funny on Thursday night..........but its hell in real life.
  15. randomsandwhich

If you cancel your XM be prepared for a swamp of phone calls asking to come back. Apparently XM didn't realize that one 1)XM doesn't work in other countries 2) I tell them to stop calling which resulted in even more calls. Eventually they stopped calling after six months and two e-mails.

I'm going to try Sirius when I'm back in the states more permanently... that is if Satellite radio is still around. HD Radio is taking a grab of the market now .. and its FREE
  16. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I have both HD and Sirius in my Truck Both are Great. And they are very much the same Ibiquity has the rights and part ownership in both. The only problem with HD Radio is that it runs with a lower Watt system So the station's don't go as far as Reg FM. They say that will change soon. The sound is better then Sat radio if you can tell the differance. Check out www.hdradio.com to see if your area has alot of station's by you...
  17. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

Iam guessing these have commercials? Is it as bad as terresterial radio?
  18. randomsandwhich

Yes they have commercials though I don't listen to radio much these days mostly my IPOD I do know with HD Radio, one station can have multiple stations on one frequency (I think). One thing I do like about HD Radio is that my DVD-Nav unit will display traffic backups, news headlines and a lot of other neat stuff where Sat Radio won't. It does it even without tuning to radio too !
  19. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

It's called Muti Casting.. 1 Station can have up to 4 others.. like 1 here in NY 101.1 has 2 music Stations and one All news St from AM with out the hiss and great sound.. So I can hear 1010 wins AM on Fm and it sounds great.. Some stations do not have Commercials...