Satellite Radio on 2008 Silverado question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Dubsport, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Sorry Newb here... did search, after page 6 I gave up hope! Please forgive me if this is somewhere in the 90 pages it lists. I just purchased a 2008 Silverado LT and from what I have read it should come with satellite standard from 2008 on. When I hit the band button I get am/fm only and if I hit the "cat" button it says "xm function only". I did not get a owners manual for this vehicle :no:. If there is a way to turn this function on please let me know... or did someone order it XM delete because as stated above I believe that all 2008 up had it no matter what. Sorry for the long explanation.
    Thanks in advance
    Richard

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Chevy Offer's......XM Satellite as a Trial Offer on their New Vehicle's.....after the trail period is up....it is Up to the Owner on weather they want to keep and Buy a XM Satellite package.......Also the Stereo must be XM Satellite Capable and that is with a....8 Digit Code in the Stereo....and then Contact XM Satellite,

To activate your XM Satellite, you will need the following:
    .....Turn your XM radio on and tune it to channel 1
    ....The 8-digit Radio ID from your XM Radio that is displayed on channel 0.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  3. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.... I am begining to think that although all 2008 are supposed to be satellite equipped mine is not, because it is not even firing up the xm screen!
    :(

4. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Check for the XM antenna on the roof.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Did you get a Window sticker with the truck? Do you know the past owner? Find the build sheet?

6. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Got nothing... I bought the truck at a dealer in less than 1 hr in and out the door. Stupid me didn't check for the owner manual (very happy with the truck)... was hoping it had satellite tho as stated I believed all 2008 had it factory. The reason for the quick sale was that I rolled my 2006 Dodge Ram 6 times, and decided although it did save my life, I wanted the creature comforts of the GM!

7. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

You don;t have satellite radio. Even without an active subscription you will still be able to get the radio id channel (0) and the xm emergencry broadcast channel. (the stock headunit will go from am/fm/xm by hitting the band key) Sattilite radio comes with onstar, so no onstar no xm. Also check your roof for the dolphin shaped antenna if you don't have that then no satellite radio.

8. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Funny thing is that I have onstar... Will contact the dealer I bought it from! Thanks for all the help guys!

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

OnStar and Xm Satellite are 2 Different Services-es.....You can have OnStar Without having XM Satellite....and/or You can have XM Satellite Without OnStar.

10. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Mine is an 08 and after my one year of free XM I did not renew as it is not my daily driver. A couple weeks ago for the hell of it I tuned it to one of the XM channels and I still have XM. Not sure if I have all of the channels or not, but I have a lot of them!