1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by dshocker, Apr 20, 2005.

Random Gallery Photos

1. dshocker

dshocker New Member

My Tahoe did not come with XM, but no big deal, I have had Sirrius for over a year that mounts in the truck. I use a car kit that has an RF transmitter. It works, but with a Bose sound system, the digital signal is not fully realized. My question is there a way that I can hook up the sat radio to the AUX port of the stock radio? I do not have a DVD system, so the button is not used. I am assuming there would need to be some kind of adatper. Anybody have any experience?
  2. kamikos

kamikos New Member

Wow.. I didn't know the newer GMs or Tahoe's even had an aux in. You might check with a dealer or one of the better specialized car audio shops to see if there's a way to tap in to that aux in. On the older vehicles that you could add a changer to, they often went with a protocol of a big company, like Panasonic, JVC, etc. If that still holds true, something from one of them might work but its usually all in the protocol used for communication.
  3. dshocker

dshocker New Member

Interesting. Thanks.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm thinking of going the Satellite radio route sometime in the near future. I've got a deal with a guy who can hook it up for free, so I'll not have to worry about it. I'll let the pros worry about it.
  5. kamikos

kamikos New Member

Were you looking at Sirius or XM? You can test-drive both (at least the music channels) online through streaming for 3 days for free. I do this at work all the time with rotating email addresses (part of the fun of controlling my own domain and mail accounts). My thoughts on them:

SIRIUS:

Good all around service, 3 satellites in a figure-8 orbit so they are constantly moving. Plays more popular music more often than XM. Quite a large variety of genres, especially within the Rock category. $12.95 per month, which includes free Internet streaming. Over 120 channels, all music channels are "commercial free" but have DJs breaking in quite often (similar to FM radio). Has contract with NFL for games.

XM:

Good service also, 2 satellites ("Rock" and "Roll") that are in geosynchronous orbit over US. One East coast, one West coast. Plays a lot of popular music, but with more time between repeat songs than Sirius, there are a TON of songs that are rare and not heard often. I hear many songs I'd completely forgotten existed. Over 150 channels. No commercials on music channels, and very little DJ chatter, usually once every 5 songs or so to say what station you're on or to tell you the number to call in for requests. $12.95 a month like Sirius, web streaming is now included with basic service. You can get web streaming ONLY (no regular XM tuner) for $7.99. There are discounts for "contract service" if you pre-order for 3+ years its down to $9.99/month effectively. They also have additional radios for $6.99 a month for multiple car/home/mobile tuners. XM has ~8 MLB channels so you never miss a game but doesn't have other sports other than ESPN Radio and Fox Sports.

I personally have XM in my Tahoe, and I like it a lot. Long trips are so much better when you don't have to find a new station every 50-100 miles (if you're lucky). The local weather/traffic stations were invaluble on my trip to Washington D.C. last summer considering I arrived in rush hour and wasn't familiar with the roads at all. The only downfall (which affects Sirius as well) is tall buildings, like in a large city downtown area, where there are no terrestrial backup towers as the buildings block the signal (and I work in downtown Des Moines, IA so I get cut off as soon as I hit a building more than 5 stories to my immediate south side). Larger cities have terrestrial towers to negate this problem.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, you've hit on the big problem with satelite radio. I used to work in downtown Fort Worth and it would have been a problem getting a signal down there.

Thanks for the comparison/contrast. I'm interested in hearing from others if they have similar finding on these services.
  7. kamikos

kamikos New Member

I have revised my above post. XM's prices have changed a little since I subscribed.
  8. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Member Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

Are they more expensive?
  9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I had originally put $9.95 a month, which was true when I first subscribed (the first month they were open for business). It is now $12.95 a month, unless you prepay at least 3 years in advance, which becomes the equivalent of $9.99 a month.
  10. kamikos

kamikos New Member

Bah! That guest post was me. Forgot to log in.