1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Saw the New SS Today.....

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Enkeiavalanche, Jan 31, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Look'in Sweet on the Tpk Sorry could not get a better shot but I was doing 68 and it passed doing about 80 and I was in my Big truck..

newSS.jpg
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I'm still waiting to see my first. I want to know what they look like on the road.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I need to start carrying my camera in my truck as my cell phone camera sucks. I see almost all of the new vehicles before a lot of people. Many times they are covered in the "Camo panels" so you can't see the body lines, other times they are production ready and other times they have the body done with headlights and tail lights taped in place. I live between the GM tech center and flint/saginaw. It is very often on my way to school that I see GM employees driving the vehicles north from the tech center to saginaw. Last March I saw a convoy of 15 new corvettes heading north. They had duct tape over the chevy and corvette emblems and some pretty weird paint schemes, but that is all they did to try to hide them. I have tons of pics on my phone, but again my phone camera stinks.
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

@Pikey I used to subscribe to Motor Trend and have seen plenty of pics of cars like you are describing, with the camo paint and body panels. I have always wondered, in terms of getting the cars to a test track, why do they drive them where more people can see them instead of putting them in an enclosed trailer to hide them better? If car companies are so secretive about ther concepts and new releases, you'd think they would do a better job of of hiding them.
  5. Pikey

"top secret" cars like complete redesigns usually are hidden in covered transport in the early stages. It seems like when they get to the real world testing then they have no choice. I often see camo cars with wind speed sensors, arrays of antennae, a bunch of weird looking plugs mounted on a panel near the bottom of the vehicle. The driver has a lap top sitting on a stand on the passenger seat so he can monitor or make changes as needed. I see Chrysler doing this alot, I live a few miles from their world head quarters. They seem to send fleets of test cars out at night. I catch them at the same gas station almost every night on my way home from the gym at 12:30-1:30 am
  6. McClintoc

I tell you what, short of being a professional racecar driver, being a test driver for a car company has got to be one of the coolest jobs in the world.
  7. Pikey

I have a good friend that drives at the Milford proving grounds for GM. He likes his job and gets to do some fun things, but most the time it is driving a car at a certain speed for a certain amount of time. (30 mph for 10 hours straight, if you stop to use the bathroom then the test has to restart) he said that it does get boring. If they drive over 90mph for a certain amount of time they have to have a special certification, the entire track is closed and medical staff are waiting on standby. His favorite test that he has run was driving the new vet over pot holes at 35 mph, bent the rims every time and another is a rail road tie test. They lay a rr tie in the middle of the road and run it over doing 70+mph. Said that it is scary because they tie can go right thru the bottom of the truck. He said that he has spent weeks driving a car over a curb, off the curb, over again. I am sure that the giant skid pad is fun.
  8. McClintoc

I work in the railroad industry and can confirm those ties are nothing to mess with. Driving over one at 70mph is crazy!
  9. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member 100 Posts

Speaking of new SS... Am I the only one who thinks that the new Camaro tails are absolutely horrendous?! Except at night... i saw that for the first time last night and they look good, but during the day... bleh.
  10. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

The partially exposed new models out on the road are a publicity ploy. Of course they can afford to and are able to hide them until announcement day. What happens when one of them are photographed out on the road? In ten minutes every car mag and website in the WORLD has the pictures published. Free advertising tease. Simple as that.