Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Scan tools

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hi guys,
    I am looking for some advice on a scan tool. I am looking for one that has the following features
    1)scan engine codes
    2)scan trans codes
    3)abs codes
    4)SIR codes
    5)ability to graph abs sensor outputs

I am looking at the innova 3160, although it does not do trans codes. I am also looking at the Autel MD802, which does everything on my list. It would be nice to have a semi- bidirection tool that I can do things like crank relearns, but I know that adding that is putting me into a whole new market. I mght be able to get a autel ds708 for around $500 that does it all. As you can see, I am looking at a bunch of them and could use some help. Anyone know of a tool that will handle what I want at a decent price. I am looking at $400-$500 max. thanks

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My snap on mt2500 does all that and then some up to 2008, I paid $300 for everything on ebay

3. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 500 Posts

doesn't you jet programmer do that. I know mine has live sensor reading, scan codes, resets tripped codes, ect.

4. Pikey

it will read and reset codes, it will also monitor engine readings. But, it will not do abs, airbags, trans codes, it will not graph anything

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking at them now on ebay. It is slightly confusing, not knowing what cartridges I would need to go all the way up to 2008. Plus I have no idea what a personality key is. will the snap on do crank sensor relearns?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  5. Pikey

right now I am attempting to get an OTC Genisys and the 2013 upgrade for under $500. That will allow me to do everything I need and much more.

6. Stretch56

Stretch56 Member

You've got the right idea Pikey. I think it would be nice to have a used scan tool like a Tech2 but more user friendly and of course cheaper. I could have used one for my Blend Door Actuator problem and now to reset my ABS module after I bleed my brakes. To bad there's not a "Diagnostic Tool" thread where we could go and get recommendations from guys in the know.

7. Pikey

The most "affordable" tool that I could find to do all the things I wanted was the OTC Genisys Evo. I ended up getting one updated to 2013 on ebay. If you watch closely you can get one that covers 2012 or lower for around $600. The advantage I see to the genysis over the tech II is price and that fact that I can use it on all brands of vehicles, not limited to GM (which I am under the impression that the tech II will read other manufactures "global" OBD II codes but not perform certain tests that the genisys will

8. Stretch56

Stretch56 Member

Pikey, the EVO sounds good and I don't mind shelling out $600 or a little more, if it will troubleshoot HVAC and window actuators and allow the ABS to open when bleeding.

I've always done my own wrench turning on my Jimmy and my Charger but now with the Yukon it's a different story. I bought it new with the extended warranty and I needed all five years of the factory and extended warranties to get the bugs out. It's been pretty trouble free for the last few years except for eating batteries having to start that big 8.1L. It now has 101,000 on it and in the last (2) months, I've replaced the water pump and the Hydro-Boost, because they both were leaking and the Blend Door Actuator died at the same time after a battery change.

So, I've saved bukoo bucks doing myself but now with the brake bleed and the ABS issue, I'm going to have to invest in some type of additional equipment besides a OBD2 scanner. I would appreciate any help you can send my way.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Pikey,
    Why did you settle on the OTC Genisys Evo, over the Innova 3160 or the Autel MD802. I know there's a considerable price difference on eBay between them, so I'm assuming the Genisys is a better scanner.

9. doublecardan

doublecardan Member

Hey Stretch, you could not ask for a better tool to do what you want of it. There are a lot of scanners and they do what they say in regards to reading powertrain codes but not many are bi-. I have used mine to reflash modules (you need a subscription to GM for this) On my Sub, there are at least 15 computers listed, the geni will read and clear them all. The Tech2 is a fabulous tool and rightly so, but it does have issues, you need to buy the Candi module separately as it will not read Can bus out of the box. You also need the subscription to GM for reflashing and finally the Tech2 is becoming obsolete as the laptop programing is taking over. The cost of 4300 dollars is no invitation to the ball either. Mine was 1200 dollars with a free upgrade. However a couple of things to watch for The EVO is the latest version of the Genisys, all except the early ones will accept the upgrades which are not cheap and you cannot do anything with the older versions except keep the smart cards as coasters. The battery is very cheap and weak, it will not last more than a year, OTC does not warranty the battery and charger beyond 30 days which is what it said on my warranty card. Don't let that throw you though, a Good RC shop sells the same batteries for a about one tenth the price and it will last longer.

Make sure you follow the shutdown procedure to the letter, otherwise you will looking at a 10 minute wait while it checks for file corruption, an eternity while you are waiting to diagnose that abs light or check engine. Speaking of ABS, when you want to read only the codes then go into the GM section, when you want to perform the tests or bleed then you need the ABS section of the tool, most likely you will have up to 2008. Great tool and Hope you find one.

For more reading, on Fleabay type in scantool comparisons, you should get a nice write up on the different scan tools and a real good one on the Genisys, it will really show you what to look for when you buy one.

10. Stretch56

Stretch56 Member

doublecardan,
    Thanks for the assist and your narrative helped a lot.

My concern is that I'm going overboard because of my own ignorance and buy more than I need. I don't want to pay $1500 for a scanner that I only need to bleed my brakes with. I know that's over-simplifying it but why buy a Cadillac when a Chevy will do. If I could find a deal like Pikey's, I'd jump at it because he's already done the homework.

I figure that I'll need to bleed my brakes at least twice in the next few years. Now, because my fluid is shot and next year when I do the brakes. So there's $200 that I would normally pay someone for (2) bleeds that I can put toward the scanner.

I'll just keep plugging along on the research and maybe I'll get lucky on eBay.