1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Scan tools

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=67168]doublecardan[/MENTION] did a great job explaining. the two scanners you listed will not do the abs bleed procedure nor will they do a Crank angle sensor relearn.The evo, in my opinion gave me the best bang for my buck.

2. Stretch56

Stretch56 Member

Ok Pikey, you guys have sold me on a Genysis EVO class of scanner. I really appreciate the help and if you hear of somebody that's got that style of scanner they're trying to unload, please let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone tried the Snap On Solus Pro? And if so, what's your opinion.

Thanks

3. doublecardan

doublecardan Member

Stretch, your points are well taken, I agree that what you are looking for may fall into the higher side. It might be helpful to note that at one time this tool and its predecessor the OTC Monitor 4000 were in the high 3 to low 4 thousands. Also you did not get what you can today. Back then I had to buy the ABS smart card, the Asian and the European. Now you get heavy trucks and you can even use it to diagnose boats with the efi engines. Up here in Canada, this tool still sells for 3900 and that's not an up to date one so thank goodness for NTX warehouse. I have six vehicles in my immediate family and now with my wifes outlaws a few more so this tool gets used. One thing you can do with it is charge your neigbours and friends to use it, while you have some places in the states that read codes for free, not all codes can be read. If you charge about 30 dollars a scan then it wont take long to recoup your investment. One thing and I do not work for OTC, if you do pull the trigger on a used scan tool be it a genisys or something else, make sure you get the smart cards that are pinned to the machine, any other that is used already will not work and that section will be locked out. You will have to buy a new smart card to unlock it.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My new scanner did not come with cards. I simply downloaded the 2013 update online.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get an older updated genysis for a good price. Just make sure that it has the red power button and not the black. The Red button models are still repairable and parts are available for them, the black button model is the oldest model and is no longer repairable. you will want it to have version 5.0 operating software and it would be really nice it it included the smart cable. PM me if you have any questions I can help with. I looked into the solus. It was way out of my price range.

5. Stretch56

Stretch56 Member

doublecardan

Pikey

I want to thank you both for your assistance.

I pulled the trigger on a used Solus Pro off eBay, and I feel I got a great buy. It was a little more than I wanted to pay for a scanner, but it had update 12.4 and came complete with case, adapters, keys, along with all the literature and power accessories, so I'm good up to model year 2013 and it should resolve my brake bleed issues.

It's funny that once I decided on buying a scanner, all sorts of small problems on my (2) vehicles started re-surfacing. I had been repressing the problems because I didn't want to take it to a dealer and have him charge me $95 for a diagnostic. Now with the scanner, I'll save this ($100) ABS brake bleed and probably (2) more when I do all my brakes next year ($200) and another ($95) diagnostic for my 06 Sierra that I think has a bad coolant temp sensor for it's twin electric radiator fans. With just those issues alone, I'll recoup almost half of my Solus investment.

Anyway, thanks again.

6. doublecardan

doublecardan Member

Well done Stretch, it does not matter what bi scantool we buy, we are in control of the repair process and with our complex vehicles you almost have to have one or be beholden to the dealership.