Scanner Question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by gatormike69, Nov 28, 2010.

1. gatormike69

gatormike69 Rockstar 100 Posts

OK, so the wife has figured out what I am getting her for Christmas and now wants to know what she will be getting me. I am thinking of a code scanner / programmer (so I can realign the system for the larger tires) for my 2010 Z71 Silverado, but also want it to be able to interface with her 1996 Camaro. I have no experience with these devices but am familiar with computers and electronic test equipment, so there is no intimidation factor with new technology. Any help or recommendations any of y'all might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Most programmers lock themselves to a truck once the tune is programed into the truck. I believe Diablo's new Trinity does several vehicles at a time but I don't think it goes back to 1996 years.

3. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I have a edge evolution cts ... as soon as it programs a vehicle it stores the vehicles vin and cannot be used on anyother vehicle until de-programmed. Howver most performance programmers are made exactly for your truck/engine pakage.

I standard OBD code reader will work on any vehicle with that port.

4. gatormike69

gatormike69 Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the info, I will probably investigate the programmer a little more (really just looking for it for the truck, not worried about the programming in the 96 Camaro). I will let the wife know that she can get a code reader (any recommendations :confused: ) for me for Christmas though, since it should work on both vehicles.
    thanks again