1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scary steering problem

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by f.p., Oct 22, 2007.

1. f.p.

f.p. New Member

I have a 99 1500 Suburban, I was going around a curve yesterday and the resistance in the steering suddenly went away and it was very easy to turn (if that makes sense). It would be very easy to oversteer and go into the opposite lane. It did this once about 6 months ago but I thought it was just me. I was steering left to go around the curve at about 45 mph. This makes me very nervous to drive it until I get this fixed.
  2. FireRed

FireRed New Member

I can almost bet on the variable ratio steering is acting up, could be be the electrical connections or deeper.

Phil
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts

Its more than likely steering box on drive side frame rail (at end off steering shaft under hood) I had to have that done on my 99 Savanna.
    Its very similiar to yours.
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Yes that can be scary to drive that way. Take it to a mechanic and have it diagnosed and repaired.

Here is an informational post from: edmunds.com

5. FireRed

FireRed New Member

The variable steering is an electro magnet a fair, most of the time it will do what you are talking about more frequently in one direction or another. Mine was doing it in lefts, my shop guy cleaned the connections as the problem only arose in wet conditions. If you had a steering box problem as mentioned above the steering would be sloppy in both direction and constant, yours problem is intermittent so it is not mechanical.

Phil
  6. f.p.

f.p. New Member

I was told by my mechanic that the steering sensor was bad and not necessary, and was unplugged. It steers a little different and I hope it's okay until I can get it fixed later. I do not feel that it is unsafe unless somone advises otherwise??
  7. omegafiler

omegafiler New Member

I suppose it depends on how different it feels. But honestly, I wouldn't change anything with the way it should steer from the factory - unless you are specifically upgrading it. I'd just have them fix it right away.
    1 person likes this.