GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

(School Shooting) This makes me sick!! ~ Newtown, CT School Shooting

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I wish that the media would never mention or print his name again. Don't make him famous for being a @$$#0%! . Just refer to him has "the loser", "Feces" or something else.
  2. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

no way can that be said any better. i for sure agree and im sure plenty others do to.
  3. 97Silveradbeast

97Silveradbeast New Member

OK this has been on my mind for most of the day. My thought is every 1 in the U S A should own a gun or two or more for hunting, collection, or home defense. Then crap like yesterday happens. I do know many people don't agree with me. If you think of the millions of people that own guns that have no problems with them. Then there are people like this peace of s@#t makes it hard to own guns. I'm sorry if my fellings upset anyone.
  4. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

your right. millions of people own guns. for every 1 horrible happening like this there are thousands of untold tails that a gun saved lives and/or prevented a horrible crime. yet a ban legislation is going to be entered in the morning by the democratic party. ya that really helps. so much history shows how that would make everything better.
    if anyone really wanted to do anything to help this well why not a criminal, mental, and credit back ground check before purchase. with those three being looked at im sure that would cut down atleast half of the 1% that shouldn't have a gun. in addition make it a requirement to take a gun safety course. so while new owners learn how to handle a weapon the instructors can also help pick out the crazies. it was a different country when i was a kid, when i was 16 i took a gun safety course because my father was buying me my own 12gauge so i could go dear hunting with my own gun for the first time. though very modified into a long range assault 12gauge now, it is still the same gun from back then. and the only gun that i will use for deer hunting. other than deer hunting that gun gets used for nothing else.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Hey Conlan Rose, is your gmother Superintendent Janet Robinson? That's got to be the toughest educational job on the planet right now. I just can't imagine how horrible that is.

- - - Updated - - -

What gets me is all of the comparative language. "The second worst school shooting in US History". What is this, something like a record? Quit calling it that, that gives the next nut who's parents have raised him to be an assassin with these horrible video games a "record" to go for.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

to be fair steve, a person who plays Call of duty does not automatically become violent, just like driving a truck dosnt make you a A$$hole. generalizing people with those kind of statements just isnt fair.

i might think that because your from texas you have the typical drawl and spit chewing tobaccos and wear a cowboy hat. are these things true? maybe, but its not fair of me to assume they are without asking.

just like its not fair to assume that because I play Halo (another "violent" game), it makes me a violent person.

Alex
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

:sign0018:
    Yeah, never said that, you're reading too much into my statement. Like I said in a more exhaustive post (which is still off the cuff, not a formal essay or peer-reviewed article) 99% aren't going to commit a crime.

This kid, Adam Lanza, clearly certifiable with significant issues. My guess is that his wealthy parents pampered him and probably didn't apply corporal punishment, just a guess but they probably babied him. Then, like a lot of parents, they let the TV and videos games be the babysitter (which for kids like this is called a stimming activity, and it will pacify them for a time, but in the end it drives them further out of touch with the 3d world around them and makes things worse). So, his mom gave him the technical knowledge, skills and training and then access to the means to be a mass-killer.

My point was, having been around kids like this a lot, he was possibly stuck 1/2 way between a video game world and reality, so he was going to let loose with what he knew how to be powerful and victorious over those who are coming after him .
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

One more time it comes from who raised them.... YOU!!!! Now if you do have Guns like this in your house.. LOCK THEM UP GOOD!!!!!
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

I agree it is the parents responsibility to raise a kid and keep things like guns locked up unless they are being brought to the range, being cleaned, or being brought out to go hunting. I have many friends that play FPS games and none of them are violent. I understand how someone who has something mentally wrong can end up mixing the two as one but as I think all of you agree it is not an excuse for killing 20 kids.

On another note, my aunt talked to my grandmother and she is ok just stressed and very tired. Luckily our family Christmas hasn't been canceled.
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

11. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

I received a mass email,a couple of days ago, blaming the government and the bankers. I deleted it. Forwarding to just one person adds to the insanity of the whole situation.
  12. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I'm tired of this being all over the place everwhere I turn. It's sensationalized enough. The media needs to understand that by sensationalizing such things it actually contributes to more of the same occurring -- much like heavy coverage of terrorism does. Not smart...
  13. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I agree [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]. One student here has just been charged with 2 felonies for making a terrorist threat on twitter that he was going to bomb his school. Another school increased security near me for some graffiti that was found on a bathroom wall. Kids just sometimes do not know the seriousness of this stuff. Its very unfortunate that this feeds into gun control legislation that probably would not prevent the same thing from happening again if it was going to. I do agree with [MENTION=15251]mudpuppy[/MENTION] that if they are going to pass any laws then look into how the background checks are done. Any history of mental illness or arrests may warrant a more extensive review before allowing a purchase. Im not sure of the right answer but to ban certain types of rifles or magazines ect. is only punishing the hunters, collectors, hobbyist, dealers, and manufacturers. Not the evil.
  14. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

History:
    The Federal Assault Weapons Ban was in effect from 1994 to 2004. The Columbine shooting occurred in 1999 (i.e. DURING the period covered by the AWB) ... and weapons meeting the AWB's criteria -were- used during that shooting. A 2003 study by the CDC on the efficacy of the AWB concluded, "...the Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence." (Source: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm)

Implication:
    Past history shows us that a ban on a certain class of weapons did not prevent one mass shooting, and 10 years of denying law-abiding citizens the ability to purchase/possess an entire class of firearms yielded "insufficient evidence" with regard to that denial's efficacy in preventing violence. As the loose definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results, those pushing gun ban agendae may well be regarded as 'insane'.