Scratch - Paint or Flares?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by moosejaw, May 2, 2013.

1. moosejaw

moosejaw New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a new to me truck (2011 Crew Cab Silverado Black) and I recently got a scratch in the rear panel on the passenger side. It's deep and to the metal. I took it to a couple of body shops and the best price I could get was $500 to fix it (look like new). I've been toying with the idea of getting some Bushwacker Pocket style fender flares and didn't know if that would cover it up. I can't seem to find a good pick of the rear panel or specs on the flares to see if it would or not. Ideas?

photo-1.jpg

Any help with ideas or dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Are you going to get Bigger rims and tires?

3. moosejaw

moosejaw New Member

Yes... getting a lift too

4. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If you put flares on- first I would get a rust prevention inhibitor, Dupli-color Fix 2in 1 touch up paint/Brilliant black crystal (Pretty sure NG CC 427 is your match), and then they have a clear coat one too you should get as well. Clean the scratch with a brush and soap, then put rust inhibitor on, scratch fix, then clear coat. Try to get right in the scratch not too much outside of it. Use blue tape if you feel better with it. I would do this even if no flares

5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

that scratch is pretty long, i dont think most flares will cover it.

Alex

6. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Agree completely! that is why i put my first post as = with or without them.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree! I would at least seal the area somehow before putting flares on. Maybe Ben [MENTION=51367]EGRUSA[/MENTION] can tell you how wide their bolt on style flares are. If it does not cover all of it at least some will be covered.

8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Try using the Turtle Wax deluxe scratch repair kit. I've heard it works pretty good.

9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Get some touch up paint... put it on in very thing coats and you should be able to buff it out.