1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scratched

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Z-71, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Z-71

Z-71 Member

Someone scratched my truck pretty good on the drivers side door.But just out of curiousity I was wondering how much everyone thinks it would cost to have a shop totally repaint the truck.It's a 03 ext cab silverado.
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

How bad a scratch?

You could try my old stand by method

If its not too deep go to some place like wal mart and get a small can of #7 Polishing compound* or Turtle Wax Brand Polishing compound*. Runs about $2-$3 dollars and is enough to do a couple of cars :)
    Follow the instructions on the can and depending in the depth the scratch may just buff right out! if not it will be alot less noticeable.

BE SURE TO GET POLISHING COMPOUND (ITS WHITE INSIDE) NOT RUBBING COMPOUND (RED INSIDE)
    The rubbing compound is strong stuff and can remove paint
    Source(s):
    http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,14

* A pre-softened paste that instantly shines new life and color into dull faded finishes.
    * Quickly and safely removes oxidized pigment, heavy road film, dirt and stains.
    * Goes on smoothly, contains no harsh abrasives.
    * Cleans all painted metal, chrome and porcelain surfaces.
  3. Z-71

Z-71 Member

here the scratches are

100_0295.jpg

100_0300.jpg
  4. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

I would give it a shot! heck its less than $10 for the polish and some rags and some elbow grease.

You should have seen some of the marks I was able to rub out on my friends truck where someone had brushed up to a pole.
  5. Z-71

Z-71 Member

I might give it a shot but I'm kind of picky.It also has some dings in it so I thought I could have it re-painted and gravel gaurded.And while I was at it get a spray in bed liner.But I don't know...I would have to sell some stuff to get it all done if it was a lot.It would be nice if I could get a good job done for 3k but I don't think that will happen.
  6. setter g

setter g New Member

Ouch! Those are nasty scratches! Let us know how it turns out.
  7. 1stTRUCKsilverado

1stTRUCKsilverado New Member

i have a scratch on my third door that i didnt notice when i bought the truck... so i am definitely going to try that polishing compound...glad i read this thread.. thanks
  8. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

Use it with a cloth diaper or a soft towel and it should do pretty good.

I had a present from the parking lot I found today looked like someone brushed up next to the truck and a rivet or something on their jeans left a scratch.

A little compound and it came right out!

The marks from buggies it can get out also but not when the paint is gouged.
  9. Bluewater

Bluewater Member

paint

You are probably looking at between 3 and 5 thousand for a decent complete job of the same color.
  10. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member ROTM Winner

dude it shouldnt be that much it isnt like Foose is doing the job. 2000 to 2500 to get it re done all they need to do is colorsand the truck and repaint the spots that that dont get. The truck will look brand new and you wont be hurt on the pocket. IT shouldnt be no more than a grand to do that. I just had mine done and it had scratches over the entire truck and it is a 08 and it cost me 1500.00 let me know how it works out.