1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sea Foam=Awesome

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had not heard of sea foam until about a year ago. My buddy with a boat swears by it. So today I decided to buy some. I put one bottle in the fuel tank of my 03 yukon xl the filled it up. I also introduced 1/2 a bottle into the upper end of the motor thru the break booster vacuum line. After I sucked it up, I shut it off and let it sit for 10 minutes. When I started it it smoked like crazy. But, my idle is the smoothest it has been since I purchased it. (one year ago). It has 148,000 on it now, but runs smoother then my 2002 did with 100,000. It ran rough at 1100 rpm in park. Now it runs smooth. I am considering adding 1/2 a bottle to the oil right before I change it next time. I am a little hesitant though as I have never added anything to my oil. Any thoughts on adding it to the oil? The last owner used what ever cheap oil he could find. I use mobil one. Thanks for your thoughts in advance
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have never used it myself. But there are many on this forum that do add it to their oil about 300 miles or so before an oil change. My wifes Saturn Vue is starting to get up in miles so I am thinking about adding it before I change the oil this time. I would like to add some to the vacuum lines to clean the motor out a little better. I have always changed the oil at 5k miles. I also use mobil 1 in all my vehicles. ( I would use Amsoil if I could find a dist. close by) I am not sure which line to take off to feed it in through the brake booster. How did you figure out/find out which one of the lines to pull off?
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It is the big hose running from the back of your intake to your brake booster.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Put 1/2 a can in your oil about 40-60 miles before you change it..
  5. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This is something I've been planning to do for a while and now that I'm not around my truck for a while, I wish I'd started it a while ago. I will say that as soon as I get back, seafoam is going into it everywhere I can.
  6. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

One thing to remember NOT to do is let it sit for any long period of time, if you're going anything with seafoam, do it the day you put it in, if you let it sit, it dries seals very fast! It's an amazing product, but not very kind on seals.
  7. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

It's great stuff. I just picked up a 93 Burb that has not been started in 10 years. I put some foam in the tank, (and even though I had to poar fuel down the throttle body to get it started) it runs great when it runs. Smoked like crazy at first. Can't wait to see how it helped when it runs consistantly.