1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Sea Foam in Vaccuum Lines

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Farmerdave, Jun 14, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you can, cut open the filter. You might be surprised. I was scared, actually.....

2. silleffej

silleffej Member

will do! I am a little scared already! lol

3. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Worked for me, there are only a few products like this but they work.

4. abn75

abn75 New Member

I do not know where you got that % information, because Seafoam's website lists the MSDS of their products, and according to their own MSDS the max % of naphtha is 35%. 40-60% pale oil, and 10-20% IPA. Just a FYI.

5. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I added a can to the gas tank of my 98 4.3 (25 gal). Its running smoother. Will be checking mileage. Next tank I'll try adding some to the brake booster. Thanks for the tip.

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Good link on the seaform site.

7. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

Me and my dad have been running SeaFoam in my truck since 1994 every single month through the gas. The engine still pulls 22 inches of vacuum at almost 170,000 miles on the engine. But I would never suck it in through the brake booster line...that's kinda pointless...it wont clean the fuel lines or injectors that way, and even running it in the gas will still break up the carbon...there's really no point for the brake booster thing, unless you want to risk hydro locking your engine.

I don't believe in miracle in a can, but I do believe in long term improvement in a can.

8. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I disagree. Sucking it through the vacuum line will allow the Seafoam to remove the carbon that is built up in the intake runners and on the intake valves.

9. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

I honestly don't see how it would affect anything running over the carbon that fast. I mean, it's not like it's BG fuel injector cleaner or something. I've cleaned parts in SeaFoam and it takes a while for it to actually dissolve any carbon buildup, so I just can't see it doing much of anything being sucked though the vacuum lines, other than blasting the carbon off the top of the piston when it hits it. I honestly think that the increased performance thing is a mental thing, and not actually a true change.

I'm not saying that SeaFoam is bad, or useless, I'm saying that it takes a while to actually work it's magic. Running it though every tank of gas for 3-4 months will make the biggest improvement, by actually cleaning the fuel injectors, and slowly dissolving the carbon, since it's in the fuel, and not quickly coming in contact with the carbon, instead, it's always in contact by being in the fuel.

I've never heard of using it in the oil though, seems interesting. I just run Marvels Mystery oil in my oil.

10. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I can't explain how Seafoam cleans anything as I don't know the chemistry behind it. All I know is that it works great. As far as putting it in your oil, I've done that several times. Put it in 100-200 miles before your next change. Depending on how dirty your oil passages and engine block is, you oil will come out looking horrible. Mine came out pretty clumpy and the filter didn't look good either. I did it at least 4 times, and now my oil comes out a dark amber color. The oil used to come out the same color as diesel oil. My truck also has 207k on it, and I'm the 4th owner. Two of the previous owners never took good care of the truck, I know because they were my brothers.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011