1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sea Foam in Vaccuum Lines

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Farmerdave, Jun 14, 2010.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

you mean hydro-boost?
    just use the PVC, dude
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

It is cheaper. It's also a heck of a lot stronger ... and contains things that I definitly wouldn't want to pour down my vacuum lines ... or have in my gas tank or touching my seals for very long -- things like acetone and MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) which, you know, dissolve plastics and melt rubber.

Seafoam per MSDS:
    Pale Oil 40-60%
    Naphtha 25-35%
    Isopropyl Alcohol 10-20%

Berryman's B12 per MSDS:
    Toluene 40-50%
    Acetone 20-30%
    Methanol 20-30%
    Methyl Ethyl Ketone <5%
    Isopropyl Alcohol <5%
    2-Butoxyethanol <5%

I might consider dosing my tank with B12 if I were going to drive and burn all 34 gallons in one shot. Maybe. But I'm cautious, like that.

I believe you meant the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV ... not PVC) valve. :)

I'm not an engine guy but I did some searching because I, too, want to know EXACTLY what to do and how to do it before I tackle something. Perhaps these will help, but I can't speak to whether this is or isn't the right way/speed/approach to do what is shown, but he seems to wait an awfully long time between when he puts it in and when he recranks the truck (compared to other people):

Here's the official video of how to do it for a carbeurated or fuel-injected vehicle (a la the brake booster line). Notice the speed at which they pour it into the brake booster line, since this is an official video...

Here's another of seafoam going in the brake booster line. I'm pretty sure you DO NOT want to do what this guy does, as he lets it suck so much into his engine that it kills it. (There's probably a hydrolock risk doing it this way, and comments seem to be against how fast he does it, too..)

This one's probably better?

Most people seem to be against putting the stuff in one's oil...
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  3. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

oh yeah lol
    D is for dyslexia, kids!!!
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

this picture should make it easier for some of you to visualize which line to pull off for brake booster vacuum pressure

photo.jpg
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I used it in my oil and it did a great job quieting my lifter tick. It says on the bottle to only keep it in the oil for 50-100 miles and then change the oil and filter.
  6. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

hey BigBlueLB756
    The purpose of seafoam is to break down the carbon buildup in your injection system and block. It doesn't affect anything [good or bad]. It wont hurt your motor at all.
  7. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

Gonna try it in both tanks of the truck and car (alero). Each have about a 1/2 tank so half a bottle per car. Both have 170,XXX so hopefully I will see some improved mpg!
  8. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

Hey are u a member of aleromod.com ?
  9. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

No, is that a good forum?
  10. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

iv been on it since 09. helped me out a ton with the alero.