Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seafoam Census

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cchas14, Feb 28, 2008.

1. cchas14

cchas14 Member

I have a 1991 V1500 with 90k on the engine (that is a guess) the vehicle has 159k on it. I would like to know what people on here think of the Seafoam product and what has it done for your vehicle. I have some reservations on using it. I would hope that I can restore some pep in this machine.
  2. cchas14

cchas14 Member

Wow, I thought that this would spark a lot of replies. I guess that most people feel that this product is not good for teating a engine.
  3. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I use it regularly in my vehicles to clean out deposits in the fuel system and have never had a problem with it. I highly recommend it.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I use a competitor's product, RXP, which is essentially the same thing, and I have found that it helped provide about .5 MPG better gas mileage after all was said and done.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I hardly ever pay attention to mpg, but while disassembling the top end of vehicles I used Seafoam on I did notice the intakes and fuel systems were cleaner and the vehicles run smoother.
  6. cchas14

cchas14 Member

A friend told me to watch out for those carbon deposits. He said that they will break off and clog the small oil ways and mess up the valves, plus the rods could get damaged. So I have to ask; why did you have to disassemble the top end of vehicles that you used Seafoam on?
  7. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I'm sure if you search around the forum there will be lots of posts regarding seafoam, and it's generally recommended. I used the Amsoil equivalent of seafoam in my old 2000 Z71 Tahoe w/ over 100k. After 2 treatments it just about fully resolved the massive pinging issues I was having.

It's also recommended to change your oil after using that stuff. And if your engine is dirty enough, it can even foul out the plugs. That happened on mine the first time I ran it. Well worth it though.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

One because I blew a head gasket, one because after 180K the rings were bad, and a few others were getting various intake or cam upgrades.
    Nothing was attributable to failure caused by Seafoam use.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  9. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Ya, seafoam works wonders. Plus beside the fact that it is amazing, it is realy fun to have some "spirited" driving after waiting for it to work its magic!
  10. LouV

LouV New Member

I use a can every six months or so in my vehicles and it seems to help make them run a bit better. However, the best use is in my boat. One tank lasts most of the season. When I was just using Stabil the motor ran pretty bad the last few outings. I put SeaFoam in with the initial fill up in the spring. My top end speed is about 1 or 2 mph better at the start. At the end of the season I have only lost that 1 or 2 mph whereas with Stabil I was losing almost 5 mph and the engine was running really rough under load.
    HTH,

Lou