Seafoam...how often?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by tlavergne, Feb 3, 2011.

1. tlavergne

tlavergne New Member

Been checking out the old threads about Seafoam and still have a few questions. I have a 1999 Suburban with a 454 engine and 120,000 miles. I have never used the stuff but want to start. Do most folks use it in the crankcase at every oil change, once a year, or other? As to using it as a fuel additive...same question...how often? Do you use it with a full tank, half a tank, etc?
    Thanks.
    Tom

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I use it to clean the throttlebody, the spray can and put a can in the fuel tank per the cans instruction. Once a year should be fine. Go to the website and they have several videos to watch.

3. 00Silverado5.3

00Silverado5.3 New Member

I did it at the 100k mark

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Same here I did it at the 100,000 mark but I will continue to do it every year!

5. tlavergne

tlavergne New Member

When this stuff is added to the gas tank is it a good idea to change the fuel filter after 100 miles or so of driving?

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you add to the gas tank do it just before a oil change because some of the carbon and other dirt will end up in the oil, also I would run a full tankful and then change the fuel filter.

7. tlavergne

tlavergne New Member

Thanks. Kind of what I thought.

8. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

I do seafoam in gas tank and vacuum line once a year. In Oil 2-3 oil changes in a row, then not again for the next 4 or 5. Just my method, others have their own.

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I do the intake yearly in the spring since the motor up here idles more in the winter. I do the oil once every 4-5 oil changes.. and once in the tank in the spring as well.