1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

seafoam should i?????

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by suburban2500, Nov 22, 2009.

1. suburban2500

suburban2500 Member

ok my 06 2500 has 143000 miles on it it was driven connstantly for 3 years and now is more of a daily driver rather than a work truck obviously cheap gas was used and im looking into seafoaming the truck it has the 6.0l in it what do you recomend yes or no????? and if yes how do i do it? just pop which line and slowly poor in the sea foam ??? and the hole can???? and than oil change??????? please help lol
  2. Snappy

Snappy New Member

There are a lot of people who swear by it, and most of the nay-sayers haven't used it - they just think it's snake oil or that it could foul sensors or hydro lock a cylinder (which unless you're pouring it in with a NASCAR style gas can that just ain't going to happen). I plan to Seafoam my 4.8L, it was a work truck and has 135,000 miles on it. It's actually supposed to help clean the cats, which I'm getting a possible failure on my right bank and also my oil pressure seems a bit high. From what I've read, the "full service" is to put 1/3 of the can in your fuel just like a normal fuel system cleaner (drive to almost empty then add the stuff and 10-20 gallons of gas), 1/3 in the oil (let it idle for 5 minutes then change your oil), and add 1/3 of the can through a vacuum line (depending on which one is easiest for you to get to). You can also get a spray bottle and pump it straight into your throttle body. I've heard of people doing a full bottle in each, but I'm probably going to go 1/2 fuel 1/2 oil and use 1/2 a can of spray.

Some people say to drive it for 15 minutes with it in the oil, and I've heard of people just leaving it in for 500 miles or more. It's oil based, so it may not hurt anything - but I plan to change the oil/filter to get rid of any gunk it stirs up. I also plan to change my spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, belt,and the O2 sensor on the right bank rear of the cat (nobody told me we have 4 of the stupid things!). If all goes well we're going to do the same to my '72 - seafoam claims it can help unstick your valves and the old 350 seems to need some help there.

If you go straight to the intake make sure you're in a well ventilated area, it may very well smoke. , and GM even makes a "top end cleaner" that seems to be the same type of stuff. You could go with that if you aren't sure of the seafoam, there are plenty of people (even non-GM types) that swear by it, too.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I use the vacuum line to the brake booster, but on those cars that don't have vacuum boost, I use any line that has good vacuum. I don't usually add it to the oil, mostly because I don't do my own changes and I forget to add it before the drive to the shop. I dump a can into the tank every 4 months.