Seafoamed the Av

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by cbroberts88, Sep 1, 2013.

1. cbroberts88

cbroberts88 New Member

So today I decided to Seafoam the Av to see if that would help out with the gas mileage. I put about 1/3 of a can through the brake booster vacuum line and shut it off for about 15 minutes. When I started it back up I was expecting some huge cloud of smoke like in all the videos I've seen but all I saw was a tiny little bit of white smoke and then it was gone. Did I do this improperly? Should I have put in more seafoam or was my intake system already clean to begin with? I think I might also go buy the spray bottle for the throttle body and use that.. What are you guys thoughts?

08 Av 5.3L w/ 70k miles. New plugs and new wires.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I believe I read somewhere that SeaFoam has created a no or low smoke version, check the can to see if it mentions this.
    Sounds like you followed the directions on the can, which would be the correct way to SeaFoam a vehicle.
  3. cbroberts88

cbroberts88 New Member

You'd think that people would use the smoke as an indicator that it was working. Regardless of what your neighbors think about your smoking truck...
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Smoke doesn't mean it's working, just that it's burning.
  5. BRB46

BRB46 New Member 100 Posts

Did you take it for a drive. When i did mine the same way it didn't smoke much at idle but when i left the driveway the neighbors thought my truck blew up.:gasp:It lasted about half a mile at 40mph
  6. cbroberts88

cbroberts88 New Member

I did take it for a drive and nothing...

I seafoamed it again but this time work the spray through the throttle body. Sprayed am entire can through and then shut it off. Went to take a shower and did some laundry and waited about an hour before I started it back up. This time there was a little more smoke as I was driving around when I would accelerate. About 20 miles on I-75 driving "aggressively" I'd say it's all cleaned out.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My understanding was complaints about SeaFoam centered around the smoke.
    personnaly smoke or no smoke I dont care I just want the product to do its job, but some do equate smoke with SeaFoam doing its job.
  8. cbroberts88

cbroberts88 New Member

Ok well that's good to know. I SeaFoamed it back to back so it should be nice and clean. I think I'm just going to give up and accept the fact that this truck is not going to give me the kind of mileage my 2011 Silverado gave me. Oh wells. More comfortable truck and still has all the capabilities that I want/need.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My 08 Av with 102K now I use SF in the tank every 2 weeks and can notice the differance within 5 miles. I have not done plugs or wires yet...I put 1/2 a can in the gas and 1/2 in the oil 200 miles before a change..
  10. cbroberts88

cbroberts88 New Member

What difference do you notice and how big of a difference is it?