Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sealed fiberboard sub box?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Stealth, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hey guys! It's been a while since I was on here, it's been a busy summer. I'm still driving an '01 S10, and I still have the 12" Xplod subwoofer in the cab. My question is if it's possible or wise to build a sealed box using fiberboard. I have quite a bit left after I built the potted box, easily enough to meet the space requirements for my sub. The reason I want to build a sealed box is because I'm told it will provide tighter, cleaner bass. Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys
  2. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

that's what most of them are made of. I dont see any reason that wouldnt work. RTV sealant should work nicely in the seams.
  3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I've always used MDF when I build my enclosures...
  4. Stealth

Thanks guys, I guess I'm uninformed and a newb to this but all of the sealed boxes I've seen were made of fiberglass. The rtv is an excellent suggestion, but is it a good idea to use that to seal the sub itself or should a get a ring specifically designed for such a purpose?
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've always used MDF as well. I like my sealed box because just like you said it is a tighter cleaner bass. My interior of my truck doesn't rattle as much and yet I still hit a 135.6 db this weekend :)
  6. Stealth

Nice! That's exactly what I wanted to hear, as the top notch high quality plastic in my truck doesn't sound too good.
  7. ntbush83

Haha I feel ya there man! I fitted my box so it fits snug in my back plastic then both my seats slide back into it. Keeps it solid ha
  8. Stealth

Sounds slick to me, now Im really wanting to get to work on a new and better box. It's been since March that I've done any woodwork, since I injured my finger, but there is nothing like a project to excite oneself into getting busy.
  9. ntbush83

That would be sweet! When i first got into audio I was like hey a box is just a box but its amazing how much a difference it makes! A sub is only as good as its box. Here's the most recent one I made. Amp isn't mounted on it in the pic though
    [​IMG]
  10. Stealth

That's impressive, I'm assuming it's a sealed box? And are those 10's?