1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Seat Belt Poll: Do You Wear It? (It's a matter of safety!)

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by TrailLeadr, Jul 19, 2007.

?

Why do you wear a seat belt?

1. I always wear my seat belt, safety first!

165 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. I usually do when I think of it, or if I'm reminded to.

18 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I rarely wear my seat belt unless someone nags me about it.

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. I never wear a seat belt, I think they're unsafe.

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. I wear my seat belt just to stop the annoying reminder chime, otherwise I'd never wear it.

8 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. I would wear it, but I'm a rebel. I won't be told what to do (Click-it or Ticket)

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. I wear my seat belt just so I don't get a fine.

23 vote(s)
    9.8%
  8. My vintage vehicle doesn't have seat belts.

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How many of you wear your seat belt?

My father is so stubborn. He just won't do it. I always explain that if I get stopped I'm the one who will get fined while he's in my vehicle not wearing a seatbelt. His response, "I'll give you the money for the fine."

Yeah...Thanks:mad:

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I know people that forget to put it on, and some that don't like to wear it. Myself, I've been in some big wrecks that someone could have been killed if it weren't for a seatbelt.

I actually met someone a few years ago, my age nonetheless, that said they would rather be "thrown clear" of a wreck than to say in the vehicle. As if you can be gently lifted up at 60 MPH and float down to the ground.

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There's only a small percentage of people who get thrown clear and survive compared to those who get thrown from the vehicle and still die.
    That's kind of my father's position, is he feels he'd be one of the lucky ones to be thrown clear, and survive.

They don't realize you may not be getting thrown into favorable conditions. Like into oncoming traffic for instance.

4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I always wear mine. Cuz it seems like I'm always at work in the van.

Cable industry story:

Speaking of being belted in. At work I've always been trained to belt off to utility strand when my ladder is set up, but putting a ladder on a flat wall they want us to belt into ladder rung. They tell us if the ladder starts to slip out to ride ladder to the ground...I still haven't subscribed to this theory yet. I guess I'm a jumper if it starts to fall.:eek:

5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I rarely wear it just because when I first left high school I was an ambulance driver for 2 months and saw 3 people burned to death when they paniced and couldn’t get the belt off.

I do wear it when my daughter is in the car, but then I carry my leatherman everywhere with me so in that type of situation I could cut myself and my daughter out if need be.

But then I may be as old as Steve’s dad. It’s tough teaching an old dog new tricks.

6. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i wear it except when i am at the firehouse but i do when its practical. I have seen a few accidents where if the person didnt have a seatbelt they would have died.

7. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have to wear it, it's the law :slap:

8. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

same here, although my family has a history of bad backs, so my dad, mom, and me and my sister have conditional notes saying we dont have to wear it, my dad, never, mom, always, sister always, ,me, usually, but only because of that goddam chime.

9. Bonzai01

Bonzai01 Member

Jeez... a gazillion drag racers and circle guys can't be all wrong. I've been thrown clear (motorcycle), CLEAR across the highway into the ditch with crushed left foot and ankle. My thing is I don't lock the car doors while driving, in case someone has to get in to pull me out (you know, like the cops on tv, screaming GET ON THE GROUND!! GET ON THE GROUND!!!) oops, wrong example, that was last week. Hey Cable, I am a jumper too, THEY can ride 'er down...I am outta there LOL!!!! Kerry

10. lawson4450

lawson4450 Rockstar 100 Posts

i wear it whether im in my personal vehicle in the ambulance or in the fire truck i had a head on collision with someone i was driving the ambulance and the person came over the double yellow and hit me i was able to swerve a little bit he almost ripped the corner of the box completely off the ambulance and i walked away i saw i pulled my left leg back at the last second covered with glass my partner in back didnt have a belt on and got tossed to the front of the rig thankfully he was ok we were only doing like 20 miles perhour.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007