1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seat belt

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bamf, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Bamf

Bamf New Member

Hey guys and gals,
    I have an 08 1500 Texas edition and a bit of a problem. My little brother was drunk in the back seat and thought it would be funny to pull the seat belt around my neck. When this happend, the tensioner would not release the strap. Should I have the dealership do this or is there a way to just release that spool. I tried to pull up the patent on it, but it wanted me to sign up or something. Thanks for the help

Noel
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The mechanism is designed in such a way that if the belt is pulled out to it's farthest point it will retract in a locked state. Once the belt is retracted to about 90-95% the lock releases and should free spool again.

If it's not doing this then you should have the belt serviced, or replaced.
  3. Bamf

Bamf New Member

Thanks, the belt is so tight around the seat now I can't move it at all. Service center here I come
  4. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Give your little brother the bill. :glasses:
  5. TrailLeadr

You should be able to recline the seat a little and get some slack. If not then if it's around the head rest, you could lift the headrest which should allow a little slack as the belt drops onto the bars. If that is still no good and, again if it's around the headrest you can remove the headrest. A paperclip that is straightened out will release the lock on the headrest bars. When you view the base of the headrest bars you should see a small plastic piece with a hole in one side.

Raise the headrest all the way up, then press the paperclip into the hole to release the lock. While pressing the clip in, continue pulling the headrest up until it's removed from the seat.

If the belt is wrapped around the seat, and the above doesn't help you can remove your seat by removing the front bolts first. This may give you some wiggle room to get the belt up, if not remove the back bolts, and lay the seat back. At this point you should be able to retract the belt fully.
  6. TrailLeadr

Just curious how you made out with this.