1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Seat Bolt Removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kapsigva, Apr 24, 2007.

1. kapsigva

kapsigva New Member

I'm installing a laptop computer mount in my Yukon. The seat bolt nuts are WIERD and I do not know how to remove them without a special tool. Can anyone guide me? I'm assuming the GM service department would have the tool. What should I do? Thank you.

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What year?

As far as I know they are just metric, at least they always used to be.

How about a picture?

3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My work van is in shop or I'd take a picture of my original laptop mount for ya. Yes there is a special socket but you can get it at Napa or a good quality parts store. Just ask for it they'll know.

4. Flatman

Flatman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Yeah lets see some before and after shots! :)

5. Cableguy

6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Vice grips...
    Sometimes I'm such a hack!

Did I mention that I was using gauze, and duct tape for gaskets on my 454 rebuild?:lol:

7. Cableguy

"TrailLeadr road side assistance"...with a roll of electrical tape, pocket knife and some chewing gum. Well ma'am it appears your working again and good to go. Another fine fix by "TrailLeadr road side assistance"...Hey thats kinda catchy. I should do a jingle for you. :whistle:

8. Apanther

Apanther New Member

LOL!!! I thought I was like McGuyver.

9. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

I installed a `seat lift' on my 05. Got the kit off eBay - the seller has some very detailed instructions/pics for seat removal... here's link with pics
    eaby seller ....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEAT-LIFT-KIT-2003-2004-2005-Silverado-Sierra-truck_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem300292800247QQitemZ300292800247QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

step by step pics.....
    http://fm.mjsglobal.com/Seat_Lift_Kit/step-by-step/

10. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

i did the same seat lift as silversurfer is explaining in my '99 1500. you don't need the special socket to remove the bolts. here are sockets you can use on the front and back bolts.

Unbolt the seat

b)use a 15 MM six point socket as pictured for the 2 front mounting nuts. No need to buy the special torx socket, just use hand tools not air powered.
    c)use a 11 MM six point socket as pictured again for the rear mounting bolts.