1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seat Replacement/Air Bags?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Goldie, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Goldie

Goldie Active Member 1000 Posts

My truck is an 07 GMC Sierra Classic. I'm going to replace the middle part of the bench seat with a folding console seat. I've been told there might (?) be a problem with setting off the air bag(s) when I remove the drivers and passsenger seats. I'd appreciate any information on how to safely remove and install the seats. Thanx!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would think that if you disconnect the battery you will be fine.
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

The chance of setting off the air bags by taking the seats out is minimal... Less than 1 percent. It is a good practice to disconnect the battery and ground the terminals together for 10 seconds before disconnecting the harness connectors.
  4. Goldie

Goldie Active Member 1000 Posts

Thanks for the information. I should have thought of the method you both recommended, being overly tired when posting can short circuit the cranial processes
  5. moogvo

BZZZZZZT! Indeed!
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

That is interesting, I never thought about that, is there some sort of "impact sensor" wired to the seats if we have air bags? I think its time to look up a wiring diagram.
  7. dock420

dock420 New Member

When I redid my interior, the place I bought it from and the video they provided both said that when you take out the seats (disconnecting all of the plugs underneath) to put your keys far away from the vehicle. Although a minimal chance, they stated that putting the key in the ignition and turning the truck on with the wires unplugged has activated the airbags in the past. I don't know if they were hypersensitive, or that they learned from experience, but I took their word for it.
  8. moogvo

First, my 03 had impact sensors, in addition to having an occupant sensor in the passenger's seat.

In order for an airbag to deploy, there are a set of conditions that must be met. Data from all impact sensors must be in agreement that a crash is occurring. In addition, the impact must be occurring from particular angles. There are some directions that one could take an impact where you would not want the bags to deploy. That is taken into consideration as well as vehicle speed and crash momentum before deployment occurs.

Disconnecting the battery and grounding the system out before unplugging wires is a "better safe than sorry" approach to make sure that you cannot create a spark on disconnect which under normal circumstances would not be an issue.

As for starting and/or operating the vehicle with the air bag system disabled, it may display a warning letting you know that your air bag system is not operational. It may display in the DIC (if equipped), on the odometer or as a light in the instrument cluster. It will not deploy because it is disconnected. In fact, many trucks have the ability to turn off the passenger side air bag which is nothing more than disconnecting the power to the airbag.

If you are just replacing the center section of the seat, you don't have to worry about sensors because it doesn't have any (unless they started adding them to the center seat recently)