1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

seat swap?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jt_5.7, Aug 16, 2009.

1. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 New Member

i have a 96 silverado and i just got a pair of 05 ss seats and i want to swa them with my old seats has anyone ever done this?
  2. bigredb714

bigredb714 New Member

I have never done this but I would like to get some leater ss seats for my truck. Will these even fit in your truck. If you still have these seats and they won't fit in your truck would you consider selling them to me for a good price. Thanks
  3. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

Ive heard of this upgrade being done on fsc forum (no details though). I imagine it would take a bit of creativity with the mounting, and it would be good to remove your stock seatbelts (dont need two sets of seatbelts in one truck) and the 05 seats have the convenience of the built-in belts.

There will be some custom wiring needed to upgrade to the full power of the ss seats, but it will not be difficult. There is a post on fsc about wiring power seats, and it all comes down to power and ground in the right places (seat connector, heat/memory connector - you will need the factory heat/memory switch or replace with aftermarket switches) to make all functions work.

good luck, and be sure to post pictures when youre done.
  4. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 New Member

at the moment i have my 2 front seats pulled out and im am tryin to figure out the brackets
    and i will be posting pics soon
  5. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

they should swap right in, also i have seen other people that cut the bracket and bolt up to the rail to make it lower.

you might want to bend the brackets so they fit where you want them to.
  6. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 New Member

oh ok ill try that i havent been able to make any progress because my trucks in the shop
  7. TSHampton

TSHampton New Member

I was wanting to know this also. I am purchasing a 95 and am wanting new seats. Wat color and condition are you old seats? Are you wanting to sell them? I may have to settle for older seats for now.
  8. tm4hammer1

tm4hammer1 New Member

cool

i used unistrut for lower mounting brackets ! welded two pieces back to back and the fasteners that are for the channels and bolted them into 1/4 plates below it gave lots of adjustment options and made a side cover from polished stainless that i rolled to wrap around the front sat the seats a little higher in my wifes truck i did the same on a 72 gmc using a power split bench out of a ford wagon that i had reapolstered all turned out pretty good and i liked the higher profile around two more inches if i remember right
  9. neverenough

neverenough New Member

Check your old seats for airbag sensors. I know GM has changed them over the years. If you don't hook them up, or the sensors are incorrect, the ecm will set a body code in OBDII. We refitted a work truck a few years ago and this problem. Just my .02, Good luck with the upgrade!
  10. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 New Member

im still working on my trans
    but i have the seats out and im lining up the brackets
    ill keep you guys posted