1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Audio second battery and advice on amps

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Burden33, Nov 14, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

so guys im about to tackle my stereo system and im looking at adding a second batter to my truck for stereo and was wondering how do i hook it up. now for second question is i just got my alpine SWR -t12 with 600watts rms and was wondering if these amp will run it or will it be under/too much power for the sub http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrx-m100/default

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How you connect a second battery will depend entirely on your application. You can go 24 volt, you can isolate one, or you can isolate them both (from each other). Each has its uses/purpose, strengths and weaknesses.

3. bby366

bby366 Member

I have done this two different ways,first with a continuos(sic) duty solenoid,this has the problem of boiling one battery while charging the low battery,second I have used an old regulator housing and two diodes,this has the same charging problem it just not drain both batteries.I have user this forum to search about this.I do not know if isolators will take care of charging or not.I could not find if they separate the charging or not.Seems to me the best way is to use two alternators,used on some diesels,this totally separates the batteries.A little more work,but foolproof.You may need an upgrade on your alternator if you go with first two ways.Good luck and happy truckin.

4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you run the subs at 4 ohm you get 600w which should be fine for the subs.

as for the second battery - Why a second battery? With what your running the only reason to run a second battery would be if you run the system with the truck off for extended periods of time...which you would run an isolator to always maintain a charged battery if one is drained or fails etc...

5. Burden33

i was planning on running another sub with the pdx-m12 amp which would be 1200 watts rms it just seems like alot on the one battery. do anyone know what the difference is in a dual down fire box and an up fire box and is it better to have the box sealed or ported

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. sstoner911

I am running 2 amps - 1200 watts @ 1ohm and 4 channel @ 100watts per channel on one battery. The guys running competition setups with 6-12 amps usually run multiple batteries.....but having a dual battery system doesnt hurt anything if thats the route you want to go.

Down fire boxes are where the subs are facing down on the botton of the box....upfire are your installed in the top of the box facing up.

Sealed boxes give a sharper clean bass response(quicker)....ported boxes generally go lower in range and give the "BOOM" factor.

7. Burden33

im also looking at running a capacitor instead of a second battery just wondering what good ones are out there

8. Burden33

So guys im going to run a second battery and do the big 3 instead of ruunong a capcitor

9. sstoner911

Sounds like a good plan.

10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Caps are Bandaids and a waste of money OR how Best Buy makes there money.. Do 2 Good Batt's and maybe a good Alt and you will be fine..