1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Second Battery?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 97Prieto, Sep 10, 2013.

1. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

I hav a 97 chevy 1500 5.7L n was wanting to know how hard it would be to install a second battery in the truck and if not to hard to DIY then what are the tools or supplies i will need for it. the reason i want to install a second battery is because i hav a sound system and its been draining my battery n im also wanting to install HIDs soon

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It's not hard to make a dual battery set up, but my question is are you draining the battery while the truck is running or while the engine is off and your running accessories, because that makes a huge difference in what you actually need.

3. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

4. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

it has drained on me before while running especially at night one night i was driving at night with my system turned up n when i turned it off once i got to where i was going and i come back n it wouldnt crank as if the battery was almost completely dead? which was weird because it has not done this before but then again i had a different battery in it before

- - - Updated - - -

wow yea just a bit over kill because i wont be running that many lights right know my tail lights r LEDs n so r my turning signals n hopefully soon i will be adding fog lights and LED third light and HIDs. So i figured with a dual battery set up i can be sure my battery doesnt die on me again n i can finally reconnect my sound system again

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You need a bigger alternator not two batteries.

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree! Your truck should be able to charge the battery or at least keep it charged while it is running. If not then you need a bigger alternator. Maybe a 145 or 160 amp. Then I would do a duel battery setup with an isolator so when you are parked with the engine off the system will not kill both batteries. With the isolator the system will run off of one battery when the truck is not running, keeping one battery safe for starting your truck. When you start the truck the alternator will then charge both batteries. While you are doing the due battery setup I would buy a few more feet of cable and do the big three upgrade also.

7. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

thanks. but if i get a bigger alternator would it be a bolt on or do i hav to mod it the one the truck has now is a 105 amp. also where can i get a good isolator? n if i do run the dual battery set up would i need to hav the same size battery or ? can they be different?

8. Pikey

The alternator will bolt right into the same place. Look on an autoparts site like autozone, advance, napa, look up your truck. They may list 2 or 3 different alternators available. a 105, 145, 160. If not look up a suburban for the same year. That should have a 145. Ideally, the batteries should be the same size

9. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

thanks. n by going to a bigger alternator wouldnt this somewhat solve the problem that im having with the battery draining cuz it would charge quicker? or will this still be somewhat of a prob

10. Pikey

It should help with the issue. Lets say If your current alternator is putting out 105 amps and with your system on and truck running you are using 115amps, then you are draining the battery rather than charging it. If you change the alternator to 145 amp, now you are putting out 30 amps more than you are using, therefor charging the battery. If you are using 190 amps then you better start looking for another solution.