Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Second Guessing Hypertech...

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by MWright936, Sep 26, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've had the Hypertech Max Energy programmer on my wish list for a while. The main reason I want it is to improve gas mileage. I've recently been doing more research, reading lots of product reviews. I have read LOTS of reviews where people say they saw absolutely no MPG increase. Most of the reviews did state that they noticed performance improvements, but I'm not too concerned with that. My truck has NO problem getting moving. It really got me thinking if it would be worth the $380.

I already have a K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust. I have been driving no faster than 60 mph on my commute back and forth to work, driving about 50 miles/day round trip. I also keep my tires at about 40 psi. Doing this, I've been averaging 18-18.5 MPG. That's mostly highway with some city driving (about 70/30, highway/city). Do yall think I could really expect to get more than that with the Hypertech?

Sorry for the long post. I just thought I would speak my mind and get some input from you guys. I may end up taking the programmer off my wish list and spend that money on other stuff I want. Let me know what yall think!

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I had the Hypertec on my '96 Chevy and it did do more for performance than mpg, but it was noticeable. I had true dual Flowmasters and a KnN replacement filter, no intake change. I was getting about what you are getting now with that set up. It may take a while to recoup your money, but I bet you would sooner or later. Good luck!

3. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I noticed great mpg increase with my Max Energy 25% to be exact. I get 20mpg highway now with my 32" tires and 3.23 gears. Also when I bought my Hypertech it came with a 30 day no questions asked guarntee which I'm sure they still have. If you don't like it send it back :great:.. I love mine.