1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Security light

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BykRydr, Mar 27, 2011.

1. BykRydr

BykRydr New Member

I have got a 99 GMC Sub K1500 that my wife drives mostly. The other day the Security light on the dash comes on solid and stays on. I am driving down the road alittle nervous that maybe the engine shuts down, or when I get to my cross town destination the Big Truck won't restart. Neither. Get back to the truck after the stop and she fires right back up and returns home without the Security light coming back on. I ask my wife about it and find that this occurs from time to time but since it did not interrupt her or the kids schedule it wasn't a big deal worth mention.

The Question is why does the light come on and when will it become a big deal. I have looked in the Haines manuals at possible loose connections. Found none. The truck had a bulldog pos starter that I have removed and I have of course rechecked all of the wiring from that. Nothing loose or broke.

Need a better direction.
    Thanks in advance for time.
  2. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've experienced a situation similiar to this. We were installing a stereo setup in a saturn and the security system came on and would not let the car start. We tried everything and ended up having to take it to a shop. They just ran a new ground wire to the starter and it fixed the issue. You could try that.
  3. BykRydr

BykRydr New Member

I checked the grounding and it appears good. The Sub starts fine, it is just as you are going down the road that the light comes on. And it doesn't do it on every trip. Intermitten problems are a pain. I have had it where the security light flashes and will not allow start when removing the remote starter. The starter had a Pass bypass module that when removed caused you to have to leave the key in the ignition for five minutes to fix.