1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Security System!?!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Bama Z71, Feb 6, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Bama Z71

Bama Z71 New Member 100 Posts

I just bought a 2003 Silverado and the previous owner had this thing installed - let me explain - Theres a small black box mounted on the bottom of the dash , beside your knee when sitting , it has a red blinking light with a magnetic circle beside the light. OK -on the key chain is a black piece of rubber that looks like these "power bands " that everyone wears , and it has a little round magnet at the end. You have to hold the magnet from the key chain over the magnet on the little black box ,and the red blinking light will go off ,then you can crank the truck , without doing this , the dash lights up and the gauges register but nothing happens when you go to the start position. Has anyone ever seen one of these? I WANT IT GONE!:fighting0098: It's annoying to do this everytiime I go to start my truck , I even unplugged the 2 wires on the back of the box and clipped them together ,trying to bypass the box, but nothing. Any suggestions?:neutral:
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member 100 Posts

We had one of the old school ones in a Cherokee years ago. Didn't have the magnetic deal. Had to insert a fob with a chip in it. I don't recall exactly how we disconnected it, but I think we just cut and spliced. Have you tried to get ahold of the company? Maybe they will tell you how do remove it?
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would find a good custom stereo shop, they should be able to give you a hand with your problem box.
  4. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member 100 Posts

Never seen or heard one of these, but I would just follow the wires and try and find out where they go and where they were spliced into the computer and start removing. Could be anightmare if your not good with Electrical Wiring. Worst come try and find the manufacturer or take to local stereo shop.
  5. Bama Z71

It doesn't have a company name on it , but I'll check with someone who does stereos , etc. Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Found a company name of "Clifford" , called a Stereo/car alarm shop and he told me that Clifford is their main carrier , (remote starts / alarm systems), but I guess this one is going to be a dionsaur , he said that his installer is out on a job and he took my name and number. The installer is going to try and tell me what to do, if it's simple , by phone. Hope this works.:confused:
  6. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member 100 Posts

I have a Viper and I believe Clifford is supposed to make decent security systems. 2003 isn't that long ago. maybe it was pulled from another older vehicle and reinstalled. Nonetheless, you hate it. If the tech can't talk you through removing it.....just go to their shop and either pay them a few bucks to yank it, or have a new security system put in. They'll likely yank the old one for no extra cost if you buy a new system from them.

GOOD LUCK!.....p.s. I have a Viper and love it.
  7. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid New Member 100 Posts

Clifford used to be the top of alarm systems, but I haven't seen a lot of their stuff around recently-not sure if its because they moved up market, or if they aren't as popular any more. I would go flyfisher's route and have them pull it and install a new one. I turned him onto the Viper 350HV after I got it installed on my Silverado (after a break in), and now that I have a Mustang I had one installed in it. Best Buy sells em, and they install em for super cheap too. The Silverado install was ok, but the Mustang's was EXCELLENT so its all about who's doing the work. If you find a tech who is good at what they do and is knowledgeable, Best Buy is your best bet.
  8. Bama Z71

Thanks again , I'm going to follow thees wires this weekend to see what I can come up with.It just gets annoying to get in your truck and have to hold a little magnet over another for about 5-10 seconds before you can crank it! Funny part is - we have two sets of keys and my wife can't take off in it!?!?!
  9. Bama Z71

Took out part of the dash and followed the wires to the steering shaft , someone had cut the hot wire and tied it in , I took it out and replace the security box section with an in line fuse linc ,works perfect! No more scanning to crank my truck ,pulled all of the system out easily ,thanks