1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seems like the place.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by bidisilverado, Sep 22, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. bidisilverado

bidisilverado New Member

To ask for a little support. Today marks the day I am attemting to stop smoking. I went to Wal*Mart yesterday for some odds and ins and decided to get some smokes since I was running out. Well, I thought I had seen a sale sign on my Ostio Bioflex I get for my hips but I guess I didn't. However, the stop smoking aids were on the other side of the isle so I decided to get the patch. I've been wanting to stop for some time now and I figure since I'm 24 there isn't a better time to stop. I've decided it's time right now so I'm going for it. Anyone who's quit and has any kind of insite I'm up for anything. I've decided that I'll have to completely detail my 'maro since that's the only rig I smoke in and smelling it this morning kicked the crap out of me. Well, I hope everyone will at least wish me luck!
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've not stopped smoking - I never started.

I know it's easy to dish out advice but if you are like me it's helped out in other areas and maybe will help you as well.

If you are really motivated to a particular vehicle (or other project) then it's a perfect match. When you are just about to stop at the next gas station to pick up a pack of cigarettes, or you are at the check-out counter and figure you may as well ask the clerk for a pack of marlboro unfiltered double-tars then take that money and stick it in your back pocket (or somewhere where it's separate from all the other - saying "i'll deduct that later" won't work). If you only have a $5 bill, tough luck to you, you need to stick that entire $5 in your pocket.

When you get home, stick the money from the back pocket in your project money pile.

Here's an example of what I do:

1) I'm bad with funk food. I'm 5'8" and 188lbs at last check. Not horrible, but not good. When I'm out and about and I feel like eating something and just figure on stopping at the McD's or getting the bag of chips at the grocery store I give myself $5 and make myself starve until I either get home or (more importantly) I go to the produce section and get an apple, pear, or whatever. If I'm hungry then fruit should do me just fine. If it doesn't then I'm not hungry, I want to be a piggy.

Not quite a pack of cigarettes and nowhere near the urges I'm sure, but still a trick I use.

The only problem is that now I have pretty much stopped thinking of going through the drive-through or grabbing junk food to snack on so I'm saving less and less money. D'oh!

Good luck with the quitting!
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hang in there Bro.
  4. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I was a smoker for about 8 years, and I've been smoke free for about 3 now. I quit cold turkey. I tried several times to quit. The last time, I told all of my friends that I was quitting. Support from people that are close to you and care about you can really make a difference. Try to talk mostly to your non-smoking friends. For some reason, (at least in my case) friends that smoke, don't want you to quit.

Another "trick" I did was I kept a running tally on the days I was smoke free. "*Your name* has been smoke free for X days!" Write it in a visible place, and update it every day. I wrote mine on a big dry erase board by my back door. It just gave me a little extra incentive knowing that if I had a cigarette, I would have to erase my progress and start all over.

Those things combined really made a difference, but when it comes down to it, you're the only one that can do it. You have to really want to quit and keep your will power strong. Best of luck!!
  5. bidisilverado

bidisilverado New Member

I figure all my friends have left the area and are out of the military so it should be a bit easier. I have a guitar (it's a jackson flying V and I've always wanted it) but I don't play much. I figure, to keep my mind and hands occupied I'll start playing again. Just need to get the amp back downstairs or the guitar upstairs? For now I'm just going to jam a little and I have a few poeple who need little things done to thier cars so that'll pre-ocupy me as well.
  6. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Put them smokes down!

Good luck! It can be done, but you have to have it straight in your mind "why you want to quit". I quit after 20 years of smoking and I smoked over 5 packs per day for a good while when I was in the Army. When they hit $1.00/pack , I put them down! Of course I would not have been able to quit if my wife had not quit at the same time. I "chewed" tooth picks when I felt I needed a cig'. I didn't do the patches or gum, but I had "tooth pick' chips all over the inside of the truck! And, toothpicks are not "fattening"!
  7. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 New Member 100 Posts

Good luck on quiting. It's not always an easy thing to do. :great: But just stick to your plans and try to keep away from your old smoking place if you can.
  8. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If I were you I would go out and get either some toothpicks or sunflower seeds. At least they keep you occupied and keep your mind off cigarettes.
  9. bidisilverado

bidisilverado New Member

One day down and another one started. It's a little easier than I figured it would be? It wasn't as bad on my way in this morning like it was yesterday morning. Guess I'm already getting over it a little? Don't want to sale myself short though. We'll see what happens and as long as no one will object I'll write a little in here about my progress to kind of help myself out? Thanks for the support fellas...
  10. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good job man! :great: Every day counts. Not to rain on your parade, but in my experience, the third day is the worst. Seems like that's when my cravings would really kick in. Just stay strong and keep posting your progress.