1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Self defense courses, anybody take them?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by jsmith4816, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

As the title days, anybody take any self defense classes/courses? Me being an aspiring LE officer and never being in a fight (outside of my brother), I figure I would give it a try. I did an hour of Krav Maga and it kicked my butt and I would say im in pretty good shape. Anyone else try something like this?
  2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I've taken Filipino Kali (sticks, knives, and a lot of CQB situations) and after about 6 Months I was able to strengthen my forearms enough to deflect an ASP baton without injury. I am also an aspiring Law Enforcement Officer. Speaking of which, My Fiance's father works for Saginaw PD. PM me if you need any tips.

Some another martial art you should consider is Sombo if you can find it. It's a lot of wrestling people to the ground which could help you out in your career.

Personally, I am proficient in firearms. 50 yards (not feet) with a 9mm Glock my group is holding steady at 3 in. And a 4 in. group with iron sighted WW2 Russian 91/30 Mosin-Nagant rifle at 100 yards.

I instruct tactical firearms at a local range which includes firing from cover, running drills (2 people advancing toward target while providing covering fire when partner is moving) as well as other situations i.e weak hand draws to simulate an injury to strong hand. All with safety in mind.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I started martial arts training in 3rd grade and continued it thru high school. I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do Han Moo Kwan. I have not trained in some time. My nephew is an instructor in Brazilian Jujitsu, I am looking at getting my 5 year old into it this winter, so maybe I will start up again. I really miss the workout. Even running 3-5 miles a day and lifting weights is nothing compared to the martial arts workout. As far as fights go, I got in a lot in high school. I never had the guts to just start kicking someones butt. I did not want the suspension to go from one day to ten. Later in life I did have an altercation or two at some bars. Being a small guy (5'8", 135lbs) the biggest guy in the bar always seemed to single me out when they were looking to show off. That is when I learned that my training was valuable! Nothing like a 230lb guy begging you to stop and apologizing in front of the ladies he was trying to impress.
  4. Camaro69car

Being 6'4" and 300 lbs I rarely had that issue, however, the people who come at you usually are carrying a weapon of sorts. Being able to curl 120 lb dumbbells certainly helps, and benching 400 lbs is awesome. Only issue I have with the Law Enforcement test is my run time. I got into weight lifting in high school instead of running. As a result, I could decline leg press 1500 lbs reps or 2300 lbs max (1 rep) but cant run a mile in under 10 mins. Although I haven't been to the gym in 2 years, and drinking beer certainly hasn't helped my situation, so I'm sure those numbers have decreased.
  5. Pikey

lol, so what you are saying is that if I see a guy your size coming towards me...Run!! My under 7 min miles might just save me!
  6. Camaro69car

exactly, My arms are about the size of your thighs. and my quads and hamstrings are about the size of your head. Therefore a fast moving skinny person can tire me out. However, 1 good punch or kick, and you're down for the count.
  7. Pikey

You have to catch me first! Chances are that you are coming at me for revenge. I am running for my life. :rofl:
  8. Camaro69car

indeed, not that I am looking to start a fight, But I'll finish one every time.
  9. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

I have a body guard for such occasions.....my wife
  10. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My best self-defense is to avoid confrontation but if someone comes at me, I've got 15 reasons for them to back off, if you know what I mean. :D