1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Self defense courses, anybody take them?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by jsmith4816, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I only have 14 =( bummer. 13+1

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Well hell we only get 11 out here in Commiefornia (10+1). But self defense is always a good thing to know. Time to start getting my daughter into it (already likes shooting:great:)

3. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

well I keep 150 in the glovebox, Drums FTW. Gotta love those Croatians + Austrians

4. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Pikey, that is one of the reasons I stopped going to bars. It seemed like everytime I went some dude with liquid courage wanted to fight me. I don't know why, I'm 6'2 215 (im not the smallest guy lol) I always try to avoid altercations, but they always seemed to find me. So I just stopped going. Plus getting a LE job would be close to impossible getting with an arrest on my record. I took the class for the time/places my friend smith&wesson isnt allowed to go lol i.e bars, hockey games etc. Plus working downtown detroit, I never know what I'm going to run into.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yea. I no longer do the bar thing anymore. First, because it seems like every night is amateur night. (a bunch of 21 year olds that don't know how to act after they get a beer in them) Second, because it is expensive. Third, with Michigan lowering the Blood alcohol level for DUI, I would be considered drunk it I had one beer and drove home within an hour. And they say that the average DWI costs between $8000- $10000. That is a lot of truck mod money or private school money for my kid.
    I do not carry a concealed weapon. Now a days I avoid confrontation as much as possible. I do carry 2 containers of pepper spray in my center console. I usually have at least 2 of my kids in my truck with me at all times. If someone wants to get stupid, I could get out and defend myself. But, that would put my boys at risk. So, I figure that if someone does try something I can always spray and drive away.
    As far as working downtown goes, Been there, done that. Always have to have eyes on the back of your head and your tools within arms length or they grow legs and walk away. The worst was working in SW Detroit, We had a guy steal a radio, while we were listening to it. We were 3 ft away, but had out hands full assembling a Swing stage. It was at the point were if you let go of what you were holding you or someone else would have been hurt. So, all we could do is watch him walk away with it.