1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Selling my 2005 Silverado's factory head unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video Classifieds' started by wmkess, Nov 1, 2012.

1. wmkess

wmkess New Member

I'm selling my factory head unit out of my 2005 Chevy Silverado. It's a CD player/radio/cassette combo. The truck has the Bose audio system in it so I'm not sure if that means there is a difference between this stereo and and a truck without the Bose setup.

The stereo does have a couple of problems though. First off, it won't load or eject a CD. When you push the CD in, it will begin to accept it but when the disc is almost all the way in it stops where it is and the unit continues to make the noise like it's trying to load it in still. I've pushed it in farther with a credit card and it still would load correctly. Ejecting is also a problem. After forcing the disc in and hitting eject, the unit tries to eject it but after getting the CD barely out, the disc stops coming out and the unit makes the noise like its still trying to eject it but to no avail. I used some small needle nose pliers to get it the rest of the way out. I've only had the truck for a few months and this problem was present when I bought it. Therefore, I have no clue if it will play a CD if loaded properly or not. It may be a simple fix such as some small part coming off of a track or it may be worse.

The other problem is minor in that the "Band" button and the button directly to the right of it (which I never use and can't recall what it is for) don't light up with the headlights on.

Aside from those two issues (and never testing the cassette deck either) it works great. It picks up stations very well, all the buttons work, and it sounds great. It has very little button wear as well.

Just let me know if you might be interested in purchasing it. As it is now, I'd like to get $70 for it. I plan on getting an aftermarket to replace it within the week so if no one gets it before then I'll probably try to fix the CD loading problem on my own after I remove it and repost it if I can get it working properly.
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't mean any offense by this, but $70.00 is about what I would expect to pay for a factory head unit that works 100%.
  3. wmkess

wmkess New Member

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought a fully functional one was going for over $100. What would you value this one at if you don't mind me asking?
  4. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Disclaimer: This is only one man’s opinion…

With Those problems, to be honest the only reason I would buy this is to trade in the truck and at that point I would not pay more than $30 if that. I could go to a local junk yard and pay $50 for one that works all I would have to do is pull it myself. For some products on eBay are expensive because of convenes.
  5. wmkess

wmkess New Member

Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can fix everything when I pull it out and then I might repost it if I can get it close to 100%. If not, looks like my best bet may be to just keep it as a spare in case the aftermarket ones dies on me down the road.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I believe that if someone buys it they will have to have it programmed to their truck. It is a integrated antitheft device. It is locked to your VIN and will not work in another truck unless reprogrammed or unlocked. the dealers charge between $100-$350 for this. You can fix that CD player for less then $100. Here is a link to a thread that I posted when I repaired mine http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...-under-100?highlight=fixed bose#axzz2Ayhs9zf0
  7. moogvo

That is correct Pikey. So the initial expense of buying the deck and the added expense of having it unlocked at the dealer... For me, it would have to be cheap... Like $15 to $20. I have to say, though, that I personally wouldn't buy a broken one. It would have to be in pristine condition for me, and then I might give $50 to $75 for it at the MOST.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

when I was doing the research to repair mine, I found that a completely working unit unlocked was going for around $600. He can contact one of those companies and see if they are interested in purchasing it. I would call http://oem-auto-accessory.com and see if he was interested. From my dealings with him I found the owner to be a straight to the point honest guy. He will tell him what it is worth or sell him the new mech to fix it. I am assuming that the motor for the mechanism is going bad. you can not replace these. you have to put a entire new mechanism in. It is pretty easy to do. After you get it apart call the place I listed above. He will help you identify which one you have. Then tell him that you would like to buy one without the circuit board. They are about $70 less then the mechanism with the board. Then you take your board off and put it on the new one.
  9. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not sure when the last time I used a factory head unit was :)
  10. moogvo

In my experience, it is usually the laser optic that gets whacked out of alignment by the truck's vibrations or the lens gets too dirty to "see" the CD. Sometimes a good cleaning is all ya need. No, those CD cleaner kits that come with a CD with a brush glued to it do not work! You would have to open the radio up and clean the optic with a windex-moistened cotton swab... Use LIGHT pressure to avoid getting it out of alignment. Then buff it off afterwards to get the streaks off of the lens.