1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

seriously...(texas trucks beware)

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by reggiecab2000, Feb 8, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

wow, FAILED inspection today...

so firestone claims that "new" texas DOT laws are in effect and claim that tinted bumper lights of any kind are no longer legal (but they claim they were legal in the past) just not anymore, though I have yet to find any proof.

even though the amber lens is CLEARLY visible, i was sent on my way out the door with an expired inspection sticker still..

photo (3).jpg
  2. 1BadSierra2011

1BadSierra2011 New Member

no

I'm a state inspector in houston. And i can tell u iv never had to turn anyone away because of that. Nor have a heard of it being put into affect....tail lights yes. But as long as i can tell its amber your good to go
  3. reggiecab2000

well if only you were here in corpus!
    I havent had an issue with these lights in 3 years... and theyre not even the headlights, its the bumper lights(which i have also upgraded to BRIGHTER l.e.d. bulbs)
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like the shop is looking for you to visit them a couple times.

It might be smarter to travel to Houston to see 1BadSierra2011 since it's not terribly far away...
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think it's the shop you went to, I've never had an issue with tinted lights at the shops I use.
  6. reggiecab2000

I definitely think it is stupid...
    I only have two light coats of vht nightshade on them, with about 4 layers of clearcoat, hardly "blacked out", you can still see the bulbs on the inside....

went ahead and ordered the depo bumper lights for $40.00

[​IMG]

definitely like them better than the only other choices they make for my truck, where everything is black, because with a black reflector the light distribution is horrible, also Ive already had a pair of these, and they are nothing special.

[​IMG]

im so tired of constantly going through bumper lights! LOL going on my 5th pair!
  7. reggiecab2000

SO,
    I finally got my truck RE-inspected today at the same FIRESTONE....
    good news... I PASSED!!!:)
    Bad news- I dont understand how they are such complete idiots...

Check this awesome courtesy check out...
    (my real specs are in my signature obviously)

photo (3).jpg

According to firestone...
    I have...
    1) 4.8 V-8 (hell, i freaking wish)
    2) TPMS system (thatd be cool I guess)
    3) 4WD (a wish as well)
    :sign0017:

and they miscopied my license plate....

At least they got my tire size right jeez...
    oh and thank the lord they did notice my truck was automatic and not manual.... DOH!
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That is pretty funny. I guess that accuracy is not required to pass the inspection.
  9. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

I wish my truck gained cool things like that without my knowledge :lol:
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They must not drug test...