Serp Belt Replace?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dflahe, Jul 6, 2012.

1. dflahe

dflahe New Member

Hey, All...I just passed 100k miles on my '03 Silverado w/ 4.3..I read in the manual that the serp belt is Lifetime.
    I checked it, and it looks fine, no checking or chunking. I was gonna replace it cuz of the miles, but since it
    Looks good, should I just go with it?? thanx...Dana

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I had a 4.3 in a Blazer, around that mileage, the idler pulley came apart, breaking the belt.

Usually, the idler will start to complain, but this one didn't, just flew apart.

The belt may be fine; but pull it off and check the idler pulley for wear/wobble and noise.

3. dflahe

dflahe New Member

Thanx..I'm hearin some noise on startup, so that's probobly it......

4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I learned awhile back that if you are taking the time to replace the belt spend the extra $30 or so and replace the idler. The belt looked good installed but when I pulled it off I saw some cracks on the under side.

5. buzzkutt

buzzkutt New Member

I agree, since its a PITA to remove by yourself. Just dont get the cheap parts from the Zone or Advance. Cough up the extra bucks for a good quality part. My daughters Explorer needed one so when I replaced the belt I replaced the idler with one fom Advance. I got a call late one night, my girl was broke down. The idler broke and the belt was toast 2. Don't get me wrong I buy alot of parts from those guys, but sometimes it worth it to pay a little more.