1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Serp Belt Replace?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dflahe, Jul 6, 2012.

1. dflahe

dflahe New Member

Hey, All...I just passed 100k miles on my '03 Silverado w/ 4.3..I read in the manual that the serp belt is Lifetime.
    I checked it, and it looks fine, no checking or chunking. I was gonna replace it cuz of the miles, but since it
    Looks good, should I just go with it?? thanx...Dana
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I had a 4.3 in a Blazer, around that mileage, the idler pulley came apart, breaking the belt.

Usually, the idler will start to complain, but this one didn't, just flew apart.

The belt may be fine; but pull it off and check the idler pulley for wear/wobble and noise.
  3. dflahe

dflahe New Member

Thanx..I'm hearin some noise on startup, so that's probobly it......
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I learned awhile back that if you are taking the time to replace the belt spend the extra $30 or so and replace the idler. The belt looked good installed but when I pulled it off I saw some cracks on the under side.
  5. buzzkutt

buzzkutt New Member

I agree, since its a PITA to remove by yourself. Just dont get the cheap parts from the Zone or Advance. Cough up the extra bucks for a good quality part. My daughters Explorer needed one so when I replaced the belt I replaced the idler with one fom Advance. I got a call late one night, my girl was broke down. The idler broke and the belt was toast 2. Don't get me wrong I buy alot of parts from those guys, but sometimes it worth it to pay a little more.