Serpintine Belt Chirp...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Localsun77, Mar 6, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Localsun77

Localsun77 New Member

I was going to mention this in my previous question but I didn't want to horse up either question. I've noticed some intermittent chirping, I previously had a 97 chevy silverado and feeling little off center going from a 5.7 to a 4.3. Thanks again!
  2. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. :glasses:
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

*****Thread Moved*****
    To The
    General Chevy/G.M. Tech Section

4. Localsun77

Localsun77 New Member

Thank u! I'm trying to figure out how to navigate around, nice truck. I'm gonna work on getting some pics of mine up, catch u later!
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Look at belt, Is there any cracks? Missing gooves?
  6. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

The tensioners, especially, are wear items and have to be replaced often. Take the belt off and see if there is any side play in the tensioner at all. If there is, replace it. Also check the idlers while you're in there although that's a less frequent source of trouble.

Check for any oil or antifreeze leaks that may be contaminating the belt.

If that's all OK try another belt. That will probably clear it up at first. Sometimes the belts fail without any visible damage. If the new belt starts chirping then check for damaged or misaligned pulleys. I worked on one car that ate belts and it turned out the previous owner had J-B welded the power steering pump bracket and the pump wasn't mounted square anymore so all the tension was on one side of the belt.
  7. Localsun77

Localsun77 New Member

It's a new belt and I don't see any type if fluid or condensation, I'm gonna pull the idler and see if that helps. Seems to be intermittent more than constant.
  8. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

The chirps usually show up first when the alternator is under heavy load.

You can turn the headlights on for a few minutes before you start your truck to load down the alternator (since it will try to recharge the battery) if you want to try to smoke out the problem.
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Another way to check is move the steering back and forth with the alt under load if the voltmeter drops that indicates slippage which will cause it to squeak.
  10. Localsun77

Localsun77 New Member

So took the truck to the dealer said no problems, bring it back it starts chirping. Brought it back to them of course the chirping went away, told them its on a cold start. They csll me bsck say we located problem it's the alternator $500. I said I'll be by to pick up my truck, mind u I have had it a shade over a week. Pick it up drive it home snd I got 12.4 amps in the battery, 13.9 when starting snd 15 when sccerlating with lights and radio on. It still chirps upon cold start? What y'all think?

- - - Updated - - -

I had an increase instead of a decrease, it only does it on cold start up, so weird