1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Updates Server Migration Happening Today - Monday 2/27/2012

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Feb 27, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

We had some issues with the server backup last week, but we finally got a good backup of everything and we are right now copying all of the files and databases over to the new server.

Here's what we can expect for today:
    • How long will it take? I have been told there is no way that they can determine how long this will take, but we can expect a few hours just to copy everything, then an hour or two to test it all out.
    • The site will have a slowdown. Most users will see the site be little bit slower than normal because about 1/2 the processor is working nonstop to copy everything.
    • Downtime when copying. There won't be any downtime until we actually "flip the switch" and tell the world that "www.gmtruckclub.com" has a new address.
    • Downtime when we go live. Once everything is determined to work, WE WILL HAVE TO SHUT DOWN THE SITE FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES (and maybe more) ... then once we know everything is working, we still have to wait for the servers to resolve the DNS name ... anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours just depending on your own local Internet, they need to be updated (it's called DNS propagation) and in some far-reaching points of the world (like Africa or out in Australia or something) it might take a couple of days to update.
    • Then we should be rockin' and rollin'! Good times! Let's hope for the best!
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good luck Steve and I hope all goes smooth for you. We all appreciate your hard work to keep the site running smoothly!!!
  3. ChevyFan

Thanks, the hosting company is monitoring everything, so I'm just along for the ride. We're really just moving everything from one of their computers (that is a shared VPS system) to another one in the same building, but we get the entire server on the new dedicated system.

NEW SERVER SPECS
    [TABLE="class: grid, width: 300"]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: initial"]
    CPU (Xeon w/HT)
    [/TD]
    Xeon E3-1240(4x3.33GHz,8MB)​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    Memory
    [/TD]
    8GB DDR3 RAM​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    HDD1
    [/TD]
    500GBs SATA-II​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    HDD2
    [/TD]
    500GBs SATA-II​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    IP's
    [/TD]
    8 included​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    Bandwidth
    [/TD]
    10000 GB​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    Port Speed
    [/TD]
    100 Mbit​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    Control Panel
    [/TD]
    cPanel + Fantastico/RVskin​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

May the IT gods smile upon thee and ward off the upgrade and migration gremlins in your time of need. Amen. :)
  5. ChevyFan

There are 64 GB of total data to move from one box to the next ... so I'm not sure how long this will take. I've asked for regular updates, but right now I've only been told that it's ongoing and they're working on it.

So, as hard as it is for me to do, I'm just gonna sit back and ping them every so often to see how it's going.
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

its times like this when you kind of want to thank god for our site being smaller than some of the other ones, otherwise youd be copying hundreds or possibly thousands of GB's lol
  7. dipstick

dipstick New Member 100 Posts

Man i had my password saved...took me half a day to get a new one.
    Sure is slow guess it will get better..all other forums that did upgrades servers ..took a few days.
  8. ChevyFan

huh, not that small of a site.

they're still migrating. :-(
  9. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

just pray man , just pray
  10. ChevyFan

We're in the final stretch now. All of the files and databases have been moved over, I am right now in the process of trying to "replicate" the database, so then there won't be any lost data when the DNS propagates across the internet. But, I may just shut off this server at some point and just go with the new server.

Hopefully just another couple hours of "slowness", but we'll see.