1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Service 4WD Message

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Six point, Jun 27, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Six point

Six point New Member

My 2002 Silverado 1500 HD message panel is indicating 'Service 4WD'.Is this a scheduled maintainance reminder?If not,what should I look for that I can service myself,before heading to the local dealership.Thanks for any advice.
  2. jedepsub

jedepsub New Member

Need to have it scanned. I think you can take it to an auto parts store.
  3. Six point

Six point New Member

Thanks for the reply,Jed.I spent some time on the site search engine,checked out some threads before finally crawling underneath and getting dirty.(Should have been my 1st step!)Found the bottom of the transfer case oily wet and the fluid level inside extremely low.I guess that cursed ' Service 4WD light ' probably saved me a bunch of cash in transfer case repair bills.
  4. brehemajac

brehemajac New Member

What did you do to take care of the problem

Hello Six Point,

I have the same message from my 05 Suburban. Wondering what you did to take care of the problem. Was there a crack; a bad gasket; or did the oil just get low from normal use? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
  5. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member 100 Posts

My 03 GMC Sierra did the same thing, they say to pop it into 4wd once or twice a month to keep everything in sync. I turn it on twice a month and it hasnt done it to me since. My ABS message always pops up here and there now