1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Service 4wd

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hdbat3, Dec 8, 2008.

1. hdbat3

hdbat3 New Member

:gasp:Hey all, I have a 2004 Silverado with approx. 93,000 miles. Today the service 4wd message came on and all of the 4wd lights were out. I shut it off and restarted it but no change. I pulled the 4wd fuse, it looked fine, replaced it, restarted the truck and it is back to normal. Is this an issue that I should be concerned with or is it just a fluke? Thanks.
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

is your 4wheel high and low workin?

are the fluids all ok?
  3. hdbat3

hdbat3 New Member

Yes it is all working fine and the fluid levels are good to go. Got in this morning and everything appears to be back to normal for now.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

its probably a default factory that, closing in on the 100,000 miles it should have a service
  5. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Hello, Hdbat3!

Just a shot in the dark here, but if it's anything like mine (and a few others I've read about on GMTC) the culprit may be the button/controller module itself.

I know that on my truck it's been going out and needs to be replaced. What started happening to me was.. well, one day I was out on a dirt road and popped it into 4WD just to try it out in a slightly muddy spot. Afterwards I found it didn't want to go back into 2WD! The 2WD light just kept blinking and wouldn't engage. I finally got it to where it went back into 2WD by threatening to pop the module out of the dash. Apparently the truck didn't like that idea, got scared, and let me get get out of 4WD.

Since that day I've noticed that my Service 4WD comes on (almost regularly now!) and none of the lights work. I actually have the module practically out of the dash and I need to constantly move it around and wiggle the wires in back, then turn the truck off, and back on for that dang service light to go off and the 2WD light on the switches to go on.

Sooooo.. as best I can figure it I need to change that module and (hopefully) that will take care of the problem. I'm limited on scrap yards in the area and there is no way I want to fork out the cash for dealer price on that sucker so I'm making do with it right now.

Maybe this is your issue as well.

Good luck with your issue!
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  6. sudolws

sudolws New Member

Had happen after tran replaced after losing reverse- Had to reset computer after trying all sort of fuse pulling- Just today happened again . unable to clear - Locked up in Low range 1999 Tahoe
  7. sweetdawg99

sweetdawg99 New Member

this is precisely the reason i bought the WT version of my truck this past summer. it was the only package that chevy offered with a 4wd shift lever on the floor. those push button dealy's never seemed right to me. I remember my brother having that same trouble with a ford he owned.
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

I have never had any problems with the auto buttons. I have had a 2005 f150 and this new one they work great.
  9. sweetdawg99

sweetdawg99 New Member

could be that they've improved things quite a bit. The ones I've known people to have problems with were all vehicles from the the mid to late nineties. And I think it seems slightly less truck-ish to add all these bells and whistles to today's trucks (my WT comes with satellite radio standard!). Either way I fear what I don't understand, and I don't understand those buttons!:lol:
  10. daddytech

daddytech New Member

sounds like it might be time to have the 4wd serviced our 2000 AWD van did something like that just before the front drive chain slipped off and busted the top out of our transfer case. Had we taken it serious enough we might still not have had to replace the transfer case. just maybe the front wheel drive shaft gear which was the cause of the whole problem.

May not be your fix or issue but would have worked for us had we heeded the warning. Also near service time I have had lights kick on like the light code for a shifting error in my transmission for my tahoe and cleared the codes. it came back on again and stayed on for about 100 miles then went off. I changed the fluid and filter and had the transmission flushed out and put it all back together and haven't had an issue since no slipped shifts no lagging or bogging down or anything. so that may be something else to think about , might just be your truck's way of letting you know it is sensing things not working properly but may just need a little service work to keep from it becoming a major issue later.