Service air bag????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 1st Synthetics, Jul 7, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I started my truck today and the service air bag came up on the display. There is no code in my Edge programmer. Has anyone else had this happen? Man I hate to have to go to the stealer.
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You probably won't see an SIR code with your programmer. Have you worked on any electronics on your truck? Check all your fuses. I've heard the fuse to the compass in the mirror can set a false airbag light.
  3. 1st Synthetics

I'll check the fuses and see if there is anything. I have not done anything yet I just got home, busy day.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If the fuses are good and your compass is working take it to a shop with a scanner or a code reader that can read SIR codes. Once you get the code you will know where the problem is. It could be a sensor or a problem with the clock spring inside the steering wheel.
  5. 1st Synthetics

I checked the fuses and they are all good. I will plug my scanner in this morning and see what is says. I have to update it first I think it is only updated to 2007 model year right now.

You know the funny thing is yesterday I was working at a Ford plant and one of the Ford guys was asking me a question about my mirror and I pressed the power button on it. The service air bag started just a bit after that. Hummm....
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Power button for mirror???
  7. 1st Synthetics

Yes the power button to shut off the compass.
  8. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

Did you find out what it was, my wife just informed me that the Air bag light came on, picking up owners manual today. All fuses were good.
  9. 1st Synthetics

Not yet I've been to busy.
  10. Tunnelmotor99

Tunnelmotor99 New Member

Generic code readers only read engine and powertrain codes. You need a high dollar scanner to read ABS and SRS codes. As others have said, take it to a shop and they should have the equipment to read it. A dealer is probably going to be your best shot though since they have the right tools and info to diagnose it.