1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

service airbag light came on

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by lifted_silverado, Mar 16, 2009.

1. lifted_silverado

lifted_silverado New Member

need help i dont know why it came on it was random. does any one know what i can do??? also i connected it to see the code but it read nothing it said the truck was fine..

i have a 04 silverado
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There's a code in the Body Control Module. A good scanner can see this code where a generic scanner may not. What were you doing when it came on?
  3. lifted_silverado

i was on my way back from a road trip....i was on the highway
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Best to have the dealership or a certified GM shop look into this, and possibly fix the problem for you. Some jobs regardless of your competency under the hood should just be done by the people certified to do it.
    ABS, and airbags are among those jobs. Failing to do the job right, or buying and replacing with sub-par parts can result in compromised safety for you and your passengers.
  5. Jimmiee

See if you can find a shop with a Snap On Scanner or Tech II. They can access the Air Bag Codes.

Jim
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I agree with the guys, I have done a removal on the passenger side and driver side air bags and it is nerve racking to say the least. The problem I have found with air bags is it isn't good enough to just disconnect the battery, or do a bypass or disengage them. There is always a chance of them getting a signal from somewhere, I had to go through about 40 things before I replaced my steering wheel especially. Dealer is your best bet for sure! :money:
  7. lifted_silverado

ya i thought of that but my dealer wants to charge me 110 just to look and they said if they dont find anything i still have to pay sucks.... but ya i might just take it in thanx guys
  8. Jimmiee

Nerve racking indeed! And here's something a lot of people don't know. Most all accessories on American cars are ground side controlled. This means the computer sends the ground signal to activate the sensors
    Well the exception to this rule is the Air Bags. The Air Bags are Positive B+ controlled. During a crash the computer sends battery voltage to the sensor. This is a safety measure so a short to ground won't blow the Air Bags. And you are right the Air Bags are fired with a capacitor that stays charged if the battery is disconnected.
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I learned that with my S-10, when I was trying to put a fancy billet steering wheel on it. I did everything I thought to disable it, I was just lucky I was laying on the drivers side floor board when it went off! Poweder went every where, and not to mention the fact I had to go to the junk yard and get a new air bag for it. That's how I learned unfortunately, trial and major error.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!!!!! (The robot said flailing it's arms about wildly!):lol:
  10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

All joking aside it's a very serious matter.
    I hate to sound like a jerk but it comes down to this, are you willing to put a price tag on your safety?
    I would consider the $110 money well spent, because odds are they will find something. They just need to tell you that in the event it's non-refundable. Kind of a disclaimer.