Service Brake Message

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by SeaSalty, Nov 18, 2012.

1. SeaSalty

SeaSalty New Member

Hi, thank you for your time I have a 2006 Silverado LT 1500 4x4 and when I either brake a little too hard or if I accelerate fast enough then I get the Service Brake System on the message centre. I changed the discs, disc pads, and shoes last October, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thank you again.
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member

you may have a leak in the brake system. this may be the line going to the rear brakes . this leaks where the line passes next to the fuel tank , along the frame rail. it only takes a small amount of leakage to get this light.

could also be the lines around the front driver side wheel well.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

Check the brake fluid to make sure its slightly over the full mark, as the fluid gets a little older and cooler weather sets in fluid viscosity changes which can cause a service brake light to come on once in a while.
    This issue is very popular in Toyota trucks and I've seen it a few times on Chevy's too.
  4. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

yeah, first step check fluid. if there is plenty of fluid in the master then unplug the fluid level sensor. IF the light is off when you turn your truck back on then go and retest with your hard braking or accell. if it stays off then your probably looking at a new sensor or crud in the master resivour.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

The guys may be on the right track with the fluid level suggestions, if the level and the sensor checks out, perhaps there is a problem with the ABS.

I'm thinking, that maybe the up and down front end movement might be causing one of the front wheel ABS sensors to read incorrectly.
  6. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

highly dubt that (not that its impossible) because a bad sensor usualy causes ABS preactivation before anythign else. plus there was no mention of an ABS light coming on.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

I do not know what you mean by preactivation??????? It has been my experience, that a faulty sensor will turn off the ABS computer.

The op's problem is related to the forward/backward/up/down motion of hard braking and hard acceleration (as I understand his description); therefore, probably related to a loose connection, or a rolling fluid.
  8. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

Abs preactivation is when the abs activates during normal non emergency braking an usually at very low speeds. Can really scare the crap out of someone when the abs activates like that because I can loose a good amound of brake pedal. Typical cause is a loose from hub or rust build up between the sensor and hub causing excess gap between the sensor and reluctor ring. And all that usually does not require major vehicle movement to cause a problem.

Also when the abs is "off" because of a malfunction, the abs light will be on. Half the time the light won't reset until a cycle of the ignition switch.
  9. SeaSalty

SeaSalty New Member

Sorry about the long post I've been busy with finals, thank you all for the replies, I've checked and my brake fluid stands a little above minimum, so I was going to change the brake fluid at my friend's shop tomorrow as well as check for any leaks and such.
  10. j cat

j cat Active Member

when the brakes are serviced pads/shoes replaced the fluid is added to the full mark on the brake fluid res.

since the level is at the add mark your brake pads/shoes are worn or you have a leak .

the sensor is working correctly.