1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Service Brake Message

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by SeaSalty, Nov 18, 2012.

1. redvett

redvett New Member

When the message " Service Brake System " comes on the vacuum booster is not keeping the brake booster reservoir at the correct vacuum. Check the booster pump mounted on the brake booster for operation. Check your FSM for more information. The Hydraulic system is not at fault.
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

your saying a 2006 silverado 1500 has a booster pump ?
  3. redvett

redvett New Member

Have you looked at the brake booster????

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

2006 1500 has a booster pump ?
    I never seen any booster pump on a 1500 vehicle.

engine vacuum supplies the booster vacuum to the booster.

I just looked this up to find that some of these vehicles had installed a vacuum pump to increase braking power if the vacuum supplied by the engine is insufficent.

the message would say " SERVICE BRAKE BOOSTER " ...

the message he got was service brake system. with the fluid low that would be what I would expect to occur.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Reading through the posts, I am going to have to say that I agree With [MENTION=54249]RayVoy[/MENTION] . It has to be a fluid issue. Whether the fluid is low or the sensor in the master cylinder reservoir is bad/ going bad. I vote for the fluid level senser in the master. The original poster stated that the light comes on if he accelerates hard as well as when he brakes hard. The light coming on when accelerating indicates moving fluid. The brake system is not being activated at this time. As far as booster questions, The vacuum of the engine would be at its highest during a hard accel.